Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

willink
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can anyone advise if FEC upstream corrections increasing 3000 every 3 seconds is normal...  Just about to clock 100 million in 2 days.

I'have had dropouts of IM clients (not broadband connection though) since my line moved from BT to Vodafone.. BT on Fibre has been stable for years before the move.

Even disabling wireless on the router, connecting only 1 laptop to the physical port and having no internet activity there is still a 200 per 3 second increase...

This says to me something is wrong somewhere... CRC error count is 8775 after 2 days as well, downstream looks good 6 corrections and no CRC errors...

I woudl prefer to use my HG612 and synology router rather than this connect piece of crap. or at least for a test to rule out hardware fault. Was told it would go in modem mode by vodafone store when I agreed to move over and that's not available either.

Spoke to VF support, as much use as a chocolate teapot... so hoping someone in the community has seen these high errors before, or maybe someoen from vodafone but I won't hold my breath...

305 REPLIES 305

duplicated post deleted

duplicate post deleted

My connection also has this issue, some times it will stay connected for days and clock up millions of errors other times it'll be a day before reconnecting. I've also noticed that my speed has recently dropped below the guaranteed speed, dropping all the way from 80 down to 52.6. No other issues present on the phone line and it doesn't make a difference if I use the master socket. Today I'm at 800,000 FEC errors with just over 12 hours uptime.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Lmpuk Let's try a few steps. :smileyhappy:

Changing Wi-Fi Channels – Split SSID

You can do this by logging into your router menu:

- Go to vodafone.connect or 192.168.1.1

- Enter the password - vodafone

- In the top right, change this mode to expert mode

- Go to the Wi-Fi tab

- Scroll down and click on split SSID

- You’ll then see the two options, one for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, in each section, you’ll see the SSID name – we’d recommend changing the name to have a 2 and a 5 at the start, as you’ll then be able to identify which is which on your device.

- Hit apply

Changing Wi-Fi Channels

- In the Wi-Fi tab, go to settings from the left menu

- Here you can change the channel of the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz channels from Auto.

- We’d recommend either 1,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz
- Run a speedtest before you change the channel and then another afterwards, as you’ll then be able to see any difference it has made. 

Let us know how you get on with this!

MrWhite
10: Established
10: Established

@Alex - how do you suppose changing wifi channels or splitting the SSID is going to help with FEC?

@Lmpuk - you probably know this already, but a huge amount of FEC may be attributed to a line issue - essentially the number of errors that have been corrected in your VDSL signal.  You can start with the things you can affect, namely change the cable connecting the router to the master socket.  Also, remove the faceplate of the master socket and plug directly in to the test socket (with a microfilter).  You should also have a think about any other new electrical devices in the home or those near the router/socket - could these be interfering with the signal?  Given you seen Ia large speed decrease, then I'd raise a line fault after checking the above.

Well I have re-connected my old TO-Link router and now I don't get loads of uploads CRC errors..so maybe its the Vodafone router.  I cant believe a line fault would cause errors one way and not the other??

I will leave my old router connected to see if my speeds improved, if not then Vodafone will need to investigate because my Guaranteed speed is supposed to be greater than 64Mps not the current 41Mps??????

Upstream DownstreamCurrent Rate (Kbps)Max Rate (Kbps)SNR Margin (dB)Line Attenuation (dB)Errors (Pkts)

@odyseus10 wrote:

Well I have re-connected my old TO-Link router and now I don't get loads of uploads CRC errors..so maybe its the Vodafone router.  I cant believe a line fault would cause errors one way and not the other??

I will leave my old router connected to see if my speeds improved, if not then Vodafone will need to investigate because my Guaranteed speed is supposed to be greater than 64Mps not the current 41Mps??????

Upstream DownstreamCurrent Rate (Kbps)Max Rate (Kbps)SNR Margin (dB)Line Attenuation (dB)Errors (Pkts)

Cant quite remember the reasons, but on ADSL upload used a different portion of the spectrum so that why attenuation/SNR is reported separately - and therefore why some faults can affect one or the other.  If the TP-LINK is good, then possible an issue with the VF router causing interference - it is an electrical device after all!

It could take over a week for your line to start to improve, depending on who long the issue had been going on for.

Hope it does improve!

I certainly hope it improves, if not then I might revert to the cheaper 38Mbs package or Vodafone will need to investigate the line..

So I started to experiment with my router and network. I removed my power line networking plugs and also moved the Hive hub and the FEC errors have reduced. It has had the weird effect of creating around 10 CRC errors an hour instead. 

I haven't followed the suggestion of changing the wifi channels as the speed issue is not on my devices but on the router back to the Vodafone network.

Hi

I reported the problem of High Upstream FEC corrections to Vodafone last year.  (approx 1 million corrections every 10 minutes)

After a lot of investigation it was found to be the Modem/Router supplied by Vodafone.

When a different Modem/Router was tested on the line No FEC corrections were observed (small amount).

Until a fix is completed the only way around this is to use a third party router attached to the Modem.