Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

willink
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can anyone advise if FEC upstream corrections increasing 3000 every 3 seconds is normal...  Just about to clock 100 million in 2 days.

I'have had dropouts of IM clients (not broadband connection though) since my line moved from BT to Vodafone.. BT on Fibre has been stable for years before the move.

Even disabling wireless on the router, connecting only 1 laptop to the physical port and having no internet activity there is still a 200 per 3 second increase...

This says to me something is wrong somewhere... CRC error count is 8775 after 2 days as well, downstream looks good 6 corrections and no CRC errors...

I woudl prefer to use my HG612 and synology router rather than this connect piece of crap. or at least for a test to rule out hardware fault. Was told it would go in modem mode by vodafone store when I agreed to move over and that's not available either.

Spoke to VF support, as much use as a chocolate teapot... so hoping someone in the community has seen these high errors before, or maybe someoen from vodafone but I won't hold my breath...

305 REPLIES 305

Well no simple answer for you but if you've followed all the FAQ troubleshooting then I'd report to VF as you say your link was working well.

We all seem to have similar but different iterations of a problem which may be router/firmware related - You don't give any figures for FEC or CRC errors or mention your PPP uptime, my PPP link now has approx 9 days uptime and Upstream FEC's clock at about 130000 every 3 seconds but CRC's and Downstream FEC's are quite low.

As your link speed (especially upload) is being adversley affected then VF Tech Support should be contacted

Well last night we had no connection at all, which was really odd because router lights were green and PP was up but there was no WiFi, connectivity test failed. Router log said connection to ACS failed. Thought oh well new router tomorrow, all will be ok......

Router arrived today.....yep you guessed it it is still disconnecting from WAN, within a minute 1.5 million FEC upload corrections and 30 thousand download and no WiFi connectivity, ACS connection failed. At a loss now. Tech 2 phoning me at half 6 to discuss what’s going on.

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@Starling2015 I'm really disappointed to hear we still haven't managed to pin point the problem, please let us know what the Tech team advise when they've been in touch later. 

Well that's fairly clear that the router is not talking to the ACS so doesn't have the necessary info to allow it to access the WWW, had this myself when I first connected & they reckoned somebody had provisioned my link incorrectly, they did something on their kit, it still didn't connect immediately and although they didn't tell me I needed to do a reboot of the router & it came up :Winking_smiley:

@Starling2015  Don't tell me you're still not sorted ?

Well I thought it was going ok, a few disconnections yesterday but today we are back to the router disconnecting from WAN all the time 🙈 😫

current router stats attached, PP been up for an hour and 20 minutes so far 

And it’s gone off again! Oh dear, I have no idea what the problem could be.

All you can do is give Tech Support grief, I still have the original Upstream FEC problem which I've been reading up on but until you get the PPP stable .......................... my PPP's been up for 11days7hrs. there's also loads of discussion on 3rd Party routers for various ISP's but the crunch seems to come back to the poor user as there is no definitive list of what is approved (has MCT approval) or what works well so I wouldn't even consider that option until you get a Vodafone router stable on your link. Hope you have some good news soon.

11 days! Wow, perhaps your router is handling the errors well, but with so many errors we need to know what it is that causes them at least. How are your router speeds out of interest? Because the router is continually disconnecting we are back on interleaved path. 

I woulfnt even mind of it just disconnected during the day and we had a stable connection in the evening, lol not that I should have to compromise on a stable connection. 

Must say though once getting through to support on phone they have been great. I missed a call from them yesterday to check how the connection was and he said he would phone back Monday. I now know to just avoid the online chat! 

Speed is still 39.994 & 9.999 (only paying for 38Mbps service), Interleaved, Downstream errors CRC 457, FEC 3202, Upstream CRC 3188, FEC 3.8billion & counting, rollsover to Zero every 9 or 10 hours. So as that's for 11days the only bit that's worrying is the Upstream FEC's, also I notice major slowdown at peak times.

Of course if you can't get to sleep try reading BT SIN 498 or G.INP retransmission then a few errors pale into obscurity.