Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

willink
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can anyone advise if FEC upstream corrections increasing 3000 every 3 seconds is normal...  Just about to clock 100 million in 2 days.

I'have had dropouts of IM clients (not broadband connection though) since my line moved from BT to Vodafone.. BT on Fibre has been stable for years before the move.

Even disabling wireless on the router, connecting only 1 laptop to the physical port and having no internet activity there is still a 200 per 3 second increase...

This says to me something is wrong somewhere... CRC error count is 8775 after 2 days as well, downstream looks good 6 corrections and no CRC errors...

I woudl prefer to use my HG612 and synology router rather than this connect piece of crap. or at least for a test to rule out hardware fault. Was told it would go in modem mode by vodafone store when I agreed to move over and that's not available either.

Spoke to VF support, as much use as a chocolate teapot... so hoping someone in the community has seen these high errors before, or maybe someoen from vodafone but I won't hold my breath...

305 REPLIES 305

Fingers crossed!

If you're now properly stable I would expect 25Mbps to be sufficient, it's not so much the sync speed as the throughput you need to achieve and as many other posts are discussing there's certainly issues with slowdown during peak periods, also I think if that is the max sync speed they can achieve then you need to be asking VF for a reduction in your monthly charges.

Absolutely, however open reach guy did they not to lower package as if I then go down to the up to 52mb package my speed will likely to drop down to 13mb 😣

Just got to keep an eye now on throughput speeds as even when we were connected at 55, in the evening they dropped horrendously. Firestick was lucky to get 5mb.

Mm think he's using simple maths there when it's actually much more complicated, you said you have managed 55Mbps but unstable so about 30% attenuation so if you drop to the 38Mbps offerring then that is 27Mbps and although the distance is the same with better error rates at lower speeds I would anticipate better stability so you may not be that different to what you have now. I would wait for an offer from VF and then make a decision if you want to go through the hassle of getting then to slow it to 38Mbps and monitoring that & then possibly having to revert.

I actually think that after 3 hours, they decided to just cap my speed instead of finding actually what is causing it to be unstable...but that’s my theory 😉😂

Onwards and upwards ( or down in my case ) if it stays stable then that is fine.

Not sure what the Openreach guy was on about, but you won't get a lower speed if you drop to the lower package.  It's all the same technology, just the packages provide a capped top speed.  So regardless of whether to are on the 76 or 38 you'll still only get what you're line is capable of.

700m is quite a distance.  It's worth googling the BT Wholesale ADSL Checker and use that.  It gives a good amount of information based on whether your line is 'clean' or 'impacted', so shows the min and max you could expect.

Can you enlighten me? I’m not that technical lol. Just attached from wholesale site.

Also does he mean 700meters from exchange or the green cabinet? The green cabinet is literally 5 minutes walk away if that?

700 metres will be from the green cabinet to your property.  It's amazing how long the lines can be as they don't always go in a straight line.

Looking at your stats, you really should be getting much higher speeds.  Even on an 'impacted' line - which means there's factors such as poor line quality, noise, crosstalk etc., you're expected to get between 35 - 59.3 Mbps, you're current 25Mbps is way below this and also the 'handback threshold' of 30 Mbps.  Generally anything in this category can be cancelled without charge (from what I've read, so don'y quote me on that!).  What it does suggest though is that there's either a problem with the BT checker (it's showing very optimistic results) or there's an issue with the line. 

Which ISP were you with previously and what speeds were you getting?

Thanks for the reply, well Vodafone believe there is a line issue but open reach don’t, however he did say that as soon as the line was connected at cabinet it started losing speed too quickly and he didn’t like it, he changed the “pair”.

unforunately I can’t compare ISP’s as we are new to the property. 😔 Hmm I might go knock on my neighbours door see what kind of speeds they have, I imagine they have fibre with two teenage boys in the house 😂 I notice they have a bt routercome up when my phone searches for WiFi.

I’m really at a loss with it now tbh.