Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

willink
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can anyone advise if FEC upstream corrections increasing 3000 every 3 seconds is normal...  Just about to clock 100 million in 2 days.

I'have had dropouts of IM clients (not broadband connection though) since my line moved from BT to Vodafone.. BT on Fibre has been stable for years before the move.

Even disabling wireless on the router, connecting only 1 laptop to the physical port and having no internet activity there is still a 200 per 3 second increase...

This says to me something is wrong somewhere... CRC error count is 8775 after 2 days as well, downstream looks good 6 corrections and no CRC errors...

I woudl prefer to use my HG612 and synology router rather than this connect piece of crap. or at least for a test to rule out hardware fault. Was told it would go in modem mode by vodafone store when I agreed to move over and that's not available either.

Spoke to VF support, as much use as a chocolate teapot... so hoping someone in the community has seen these high errors before, or maybe someoen from vodafone but I won't hold my breath...

305 REPLIES 305

@Anonymous Hi there, just a quick update on this issue. Our Third line team are currently running tests on the router assisted by a Line engineer to investigate this and how the firmware reacts to FECs caused by internal or external factors.  As soon as I have any further update or resolution on this I'll be in touch.

Joe

Any update Joe?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if it's relevant at all, but it seems odd that using the Draytek Vigor 130 which doesn't seem to generate ANY FEC Corrections G.INP / G.998.4 is active but only on the uplink!

@Siygess Hi there, I'm still awaiting an update on this from our 3rd Line team. I've sent a chaser email off to them looking for an update and as soon as they get back to me I'll be in touch. Thanks for your patience on this. Joe

@Siygess I've had an update from our 3rd line team, they've tried to replicate the fault using the router and getting 3rd party engineers to introduce noise onto the line to try to replicate the fault. They can't seem to get this to match the FEC errors you're all seeing. I'm just wondering if you'd be able to send me the GUI logs and counter details so I can send these off to get this looked into further. Please let me know if this is OK and I'll send you a message on how to get the information to me. Joe

Sure, send me what you need and I will collect the data in the morning.

@Joe wrote:

@Siygess I've had an update from our 3rd line team, they've tried to replicate the fault using the router and getting 3rd party engineers to introduce noise onto the line to try to replicate the fault. They can't seem to get this to match the FEC errors you're all seeing. I'm just wondering if you'd be able to send me the GUI logs and counter details so I can send these off to get this looked into further. Please let me know if this is OK and I'll send you a message on how to get the information to me. Joe

I'm disappointed that, after 18 months and dozens of posts, we have now returned to the situation where 3rd line want to see gui screenshots to somehow prove that this isn't in all of our collective heads.

There are already screen shots showing millions of FEC errors - can 3rd line not simply be referred to this thread and review the details already provided?

@scott_lk Even though the counters are on here, there's no logs showing what was happening on the router while the FEC errors are increasing. This is the information that I've asked @Siygess for. This is so we can get the passed beyond 3rd line and onto the Firmware developers to look in to this information. I'll be in contact once we've any further information, as this is going beyond the normal support teams, we can't give any timescales for further updates.

Joe

With the greatest of respect (I also work in IT support), that's a joke and a non-answer.

After eighteen months of reported issues, and workarounds supplied by customers who (like me) invest in their own routers to address Vodafone's failings, especially when Vodafone as a corporation, refuse to acknowledge that there is an issue, is an insult to your customers generally and to your technically savvy customers specifically.

I commend the social media folks, like Joe, who strive to push this issue through the syrup that is Vodafone broadband's support channels - not having a go at all at the people who post on here - but it would do these people, and the customers, a great service if someone with some authority could review these pages and strive for an actual result.

Like many people who have posted here, I have spent so long trying to persuade Vodafone that I have an issue that I have exceeded the 30 day guarantee period. So I'm stuck with this pile of cack for a year. If I had read this thread at the start, I would never, ever, ever have been so foolish as to switch my broadband to vodafone.

The availability is appalling and the lack of real support (over the best intentions on this forum) is terrible. Weasel words around the SLA stop people like me from leaving the service once we realise how terrible it is.

If anyone from VF reads this and has any kind of clout, I'd love to transfer back to Sky with no penalty from vodafone. If you could make that happen then at least I'd stop caring about vodafone...

@scott_lk I'd like to assure you, I'm dealing with our 3rd line team directly on this issue and as soon as I have any updates on this I’ll post them on here. I take on board the time that this post has been on here with no apparent solution to get this fixed. The information I've asked for is getting passed even further up the chain beyond our 3rd line team. This will allow them to look in to the nature of the Firmware of the router and the way it reacts in certain circumstances on the network at a customer level. I'm not going to say it'll be fixed soon but I’m at least going to be chasing this up as much as I can. Joe