Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

willink
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can anyone advise if FEC upstream corrections increasing 3000 every 3 seconds is normal...  Just about to clock 100 million in 2 days.

I'have had dropouts of IM clients (not broadband connection though) since my line moved from BT to Vodafone.. BT on Fibre has been stable for years before the move.

Even disabling wireless on the router, connecting only 1 laptop to the physical port and having no internet activity there is still a 200 per 3 second increase...

This says to me something is wrong somewhere... CRC error count is 8775 after 2 days as well, downstream looks good 6 corrections and no CRC errors...

I woudl prefer to use my HG612 and synology router rather than this connect piece of crap. or at least for a test to rule out hardware fault. Was told it would go in modem mode by vodafone store when I agreed to move over and that's not available either.

Spoke to VF support, as much use as a chocolate teapot... so hoping someone in the community has seen these high errors before, or maybe someoen from vodafone but I won't hold my breath...

305 REPLIES 305

gipjon
16: Advanced member

hmmmmm moderator jo wrote

I've had an update from our 3rd line team, they've tried to replicate the fault using the router and getting 3rd party engineers to introduce noise onto the line to try to replicate the fault.

They can't seem to get this to match the FEC errors you're all seeing.

Joe i got a better idea instead of tech 3 wasting time trying to replicate the fault , why don't you ask them to come to my house and see it first hand , bring some difference router and test equipment , i am more than happy to make drinks all day and i'm sure everyone on here will say the same ,also forums all over the net for the last two year have been saying the same thing with the vodafone router, high fec corrections, wifi has short range , wifi keeps disabling, issues with router when warm, issues with sync ,laptop/tablets etc disconnect from router etc. i think to say how big vodafone is surely they will knows all about it and will have already asked the router manufacturers to look into it , im guessing not a lot can be done and replacing every ones router will cost billions and vodafone will probably have a warehouse with thousands of them in stock ,

i spoken to a tech 2 advisor from your abroad office who seems to know all about the issues with the router and said the only thing you can do is run a third party router which vodafone uk can supply ,but said you need to talk to the tech 2 advisor that's dealing with my account to arrange it , funny how uk office has not said anything about it , if i understand the law right then vodafone are liable for all the costs of the service they are providing you so that would suggest that statement is correct about vodafone sending you a third party router

Working in software test myself, trying to reproduce the issue is a nightmare. I follow on from the last post, if any engeeers need to come to mine, I would also do the same as above. 

Same here if I can be of help, as I commented in a previous post I find that when my router starts clocking lots of errors I just restart the link & the errors clock much slower sometimes for a period of weeks other times it's just an hour or two.

This issue has been solved in my case - hopefully this information can help someone out there.

tl;dr - Unsure if BT engineer visits had any impact whatsoever. Began noticing router crashes and line degredation were consistently happening whenever turning on my PC (which is linked to my router via Powerline adapter). Disconnecting the powerline adapters and connecting directly via cable has solved my problem.

I had this issue for more than 12 months and had given up on ever getting to the bottom of it. After several periods of frequent contact with the tech 2 team, having effectively no discount to my subscription, and at least 3 enginner visits within my property with temporary results, I decided to try with them one last time and fully expected to be seeking compensation and a free way out of my contract.

This last time was not much different. Two engineers visited my property in the space of a couple of weeks, and I'm aware of at least one other assigned to my case that did not need access. Both indicated that there were no issues visible on the line and it in fact had a high quality score. The final engineer went to the cabinet down the street and said he would request permission to switch the ports. I'm not sure exactly what he did however he reported back that the potential of the line had been increased by ~20mbps. Did this make a difference to the reliability and speed degredation? NO. At least it didn't seem that way.

Since these final two visits I began noticing that my router crashed out harder and more frequently than ever. In some ways that helped track the issue... All I had to do was turn my PC on and it would crash. My PC was linked via TP-Link AV600 Powerline Adapters - turning these OFF and connecting directly to my router via cable has COMPLETELY solved my issues.

As always though, I got a text from Vodafone saying the issues had been resolved and I'm not sure whether to thank them or not. I don't doubt that I could be missing some important details regarding what the BT Engineers have done and whether or not the resolution is down to a number of different factors, however I can only report my experience. Someone with access could look into my case in more details to see if it helps lean towards a solution for others...

Uptime since last reboot
28 days, 22 hours and 24 minutes

Bit rate

Downstream Upstream
Actual data rate75940 (Kbps.)20000 (Kbps.)

Error counter

Indicator name Downstream Upstream
FEC Corrections2300
CRC Error573204

Out of interest, does everyone on here who has the issue run some sort of power line, delvo solution over their house electrial sockets? and who uses real CAT5e lines? I still need to install CAT5e lines...

gipjon

looks like mr sfowler is cause by the Powerline Adapters interfering with the mains supply and transferring it to the router and phone line which is well known if you did your research, the port change you spoke about is called a up lift and shift , and yes there may be a few meg difference on the ports from top to bottom but not 20 meg , i think you will find you had a DLM reset on your line which if you have clear the fault you will get full speed . sorry to say im not sure your issue is the same to be honest , also i dont understand how you can get 0 fec corrections with 3204 crc errors , the issue lot of us are facing is running totaly standed no lan no hubs no power line , no nothing even remove the lan cables to stop anything traveling down the cable , even ran a short adsl cable router.jpg

gipjon

another update i had a DLM reset last weeks and my vodafone router sync at 27 and then loads of fec etc and the sync starts dopping and getting slower every time  , i was on the phone with tech 2 and agreed to go back to my old sse speedtouch tg589 router as a test to rule the router out , wile still on the phone we swaped the router and straight away the speed was higher , tech 2 guy said that should not happen but it did  , since then my router has resync again and has gone up even more , which to say i have had 5 openreach engineer here and 5 DLM resets and every time my vodafone router will drops as low as 16 meg on a 80/20meg vodafone line if that is not proof then i dont know what is , can i just ask mr vodafone moderator has you asked if they can come here and stop waisting time and look into this , 

I understand your sceptisicm, I can only share my experience. Being ex-IT repair and still working in IT I know fine well how to debug an issue and have had the same experiences that everyone is reporting in this thread. Turning off the powerline adapters certainly had no effect in the past, it's only after all these visits and multiple occassions of Vodafone saying they've solved the issue that powerline adapters appeared to be the one remaining issue.

As I said, there's the absolute possibility there are finer details that are unknown to me that led to this.

gipjon

I think we all need to get this sorted as this has been going on for the last two year and is really unfair to all vodafone customers with the router issue
The law and rules for isp states
Faulty equipment
Any equipment that is provided to you by your supplier should be fit for purpose. If equipment supplied is faulty and your broadband provider does not remedy the issue promptly then you have good grounds for complaint. Your supplier should cover all costs incurred
Connection failure
Contact your supplier straight away; if they don't get the problem solved quickly, they should reduce your monthly bill by an amount that corresponds to the amount of downtime.

I would advise every one on here to make a formal complaint to vodafone about this issues with the router and if we dont get some kind of success in the next 8 weeks then we can take this further to the adr schemes
There are two ADR schemes in the UK; Ombudsman Services: Communication and CISAS. Vodafone is with the Ombudsman Services: 
Using an ADR scheme is free of charge. An independent adjudicator will examine the facts of your complaint from both sides and, if they find in your favour, they will ask the broadband supplier to take some action
Simply call vodafone complaints phone number – 03333 041 524 (standard call charges apply). or you can use the online form
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/complaints

The issue is there if you have nothing plugged up to the router apart from the BT line, and leave it for 24hrs it has stacks of errors. Its router related.