Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

willink
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can anyone advise if FEC upstream corrections increasing 3000 every 3 seconds is normal...  Just about to clock 100 million in 2 days.

I'have had dropouts of IM clients (not broadband connection though) since my line moved from BT to Vodafone.. BT on Fibre has been stable for years before the move.

Even disabling wireless on the router, connecting only 1 laptop to the physical port and having no internet activity there is still a 200 per 3 second increase...

This says to me something is wrong somewhere... CRC error count is 8775 after 2 days as well, downstream looks good 6 corrections and no CRC errors...

I woudl prefer to use my HG612 and synology router rather than this connect piece of crap. or at least for a test to rule out hardware fault. Was told it would go in modem mode by vodafone store when I agreed to move over and that's not available either.

Spoke to VF support, as much use as a chocolate teapot... so hoping someone in the community has seen these high errors before, or maybe someoen from vodafone but I won't hold my breath...

305 REPLIES 305

@gipjon I really do understand your frustration on this. I've been dealing with this since September with information from customers on here and on Social media platforms. I've been messaging our 3rd line team looking for updates to pass on to yourselves on here and other media platforms. This is something that doesn't affect all customers and on here it's very difficult to diagnose what exactly is going on with the connections without being able to access your account. In regards to your post regarding my name being all over this as well as Blair and TJ. We always try to do our best for our customers with the information we can post without giving account specific information. It isn't always possible to go through all the diagnosis we'd like to do on here either. As I've stated on another post, I'm more than happy to get any information I can from you to pass on to the 3rd line team

gipjon
16: Advanced member

hi @joe ,

Don't get me wrong i understand your situation with what you can and can't do , I have spoken to loads of advisor and even team leaders etc, who have openly spoken and said every one in vodafone know about the issues and are fed up with customer ringing up with the same issues. All we can say is "try this "even though we know its not going to do anything. I have even been told that issues have been passed to management levels but they don't want to know , It would appear that most of vodafone staff feel the same way as its customers fed up with it .Must make your job awful. Maybe you and your team leaders could make a complaint to management by saying that vodafone forum and other forums are gettin out of control with customer all having the same issues and are now starting to send reports to newspapers , watchdog and ofcom etc .i dont think it be long before this is aired on bbc news etc.  , Cant believe vodafone will let it get to this  

back to fec issues . if there is really any point (don't know as yet )

a guy from your complaint department has said every complaint he has dealt with who had very high fec corrections with sync issues also had a cable link issue as well so there seems to be a link between them

A link between FEC and line problems makes sense. If the line has some kind of noise on it then FEC can (to some extent) correct for it. Perhaps when it reaches the point the FEC can no longer correct errors the modem resyncs?

Speculating further maybe certain modem/router chipsets can handle this better than others and some third party ones don't have these issues as a result?

i posted some months ago and  I haven't posted since as others are clearly more knowledgable than me, but i  have continued to have high FEC upstream numbers.   Some curious things have happended in recent months -

- December 2018 and earlier -  getting an average of 1 or 2 WAN disconnects a day and FEC upstream errors in the millions. The highest FEC upstream was 1.2 billion.  But there were periods of a few days when the WAN disconnect would be triggered by FEC numbers in the 100ks.   If the numbers went too high I tried doing soft resets or DSL reconnects to avoid the WAN disconnect being apprently "forced" by the high FEC numbers.

- on 8th January I did a DSL reconnect and didn't have a WAN disconnect for 8 whole days ! but then started to get them every 2 or 3 days.  The FEC upstream numbers have have only been reaching between 100k to 600k, before WAN disconnect is triggered.

I haven't moved or changed anything over this whole period.   I wait to see what happens over the coming.

weeks/months ! ( I haven't contacted the helpline about the recent experience as I have spoken to so many people/tech2/openreach, as the problem has being going on for over a year) 

It's a pity there is no way to log some of the line parameters periodically. Things like FEC, CRC errors, sync speed, SNR margin.

I'd been meaning to look into writing a script to do this but that's made trickier by the lack of documentation for the router: it would probably have to simulate a login and scrape details from the web interface.

I'm not renewing my BB this year. It's a joke. I can't even work from home with out it going Pete tong. 

@stevex This is the thing, I've seen routers with these FEC issues on a perfect connections and no disconnection on a network level. Yet customers seeing the resync. This is why I've been getting information from customers to get to the bottom of this. I had thought about the chipset of the router possibly causing an issue but this doesn't affect every customers connection. If your happy enough to send me the router logs let me know and I send you the information I need. Joe

That's bizarre. It's my understanding that if the line is perfect there shouldn't be any FEC corrections at all: i.e. if there are no errors there are no errors to correct.

Sure I can send you the event logs but they don't really say much: at the time of WAN disconnects there aren't any other events. I wondered if the WAN reconnects were down to the router actually crashing but I'd expect the Linux startup module insertion messages in that case and I don't get them, just disconnect and about 2 minutes later a reconnect.

There are FEC corrections but nowhere near the number some other people are experiencing.

I'm not experiencing any speed issues either: just WAN disconnects of varying frequency.

gipjon

my story  for though of you thats not seen it in the other thread vodafone router 60,000 fec corrections every 3 seconds, bt been out 5 times vodafone router sync at 27 then works it way down to 16mb sync etc

UPDATE

friday the 4th jan 2019 bt came out 4th visit reset my line D L M and still can't find any faults on my line the vodafone router sync speed are

on the 4th jan was 27mb

on the 5th jan was 26 mb

on the 6 jan was 24 mb

UPDATE

Took notice what vodafone Moderator joe said about there is a issue with the vodafone router and that we're currently investigating and awaiting further updates from our Third Line team.

BT came out again and on the 8th jan bt reset my line D L M again and still can't find any fault BT did nothing apart from the reset , we plugged in a non vodafone technicolor tg589vac router as agreed with tech2 as a test and the results are here the start sync

On the 8th of jan 2019 was 27mb ,

On the 10th the sync was 29mb ,

On the 12th the sync was 31mb .

On the 14 the sync is 33mb and 7,6 meg up

First time in 8 weeks we have a sync above my minimum guaranteed speed of 27mb  . The technicolor tg589vac does seem to make the internet more responsive  60,000 fec corrections has gone from 60,000 every 3 seconds to 15,000 per day so far ,download fec corrections seam to be about the same 4000 a day , crc download may have gone up by 300 per day

i do also have a bad cable link issues as well 30meg download speed n the daytime about 4-9 meg around 7-11:30pm 

in plain english D L M reset then the vodafone router after about 10 days will sync at about 16meg . the technicolor tg589vac will sync at 33meg after about 8 days

router stats.jpgrouter stats1.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried hinting at this in the past, but having just had a chat to a stressed OpenReach Engineer (trying to set up a neighbours Superfast and it ain't working) and FEC correction is commonly only enabled on the downstream connection from OpenReach cabinets, it is not enabled on the upstream connection from the modem to the router.