main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

@scott_lk Even though the counters are on here, there's no logs showing what was happening on the router while the FEC errors are increasing. This is the information that I've asked @Siygess for. This is so we can get the passed beyond 3rd line and onto the Firmware developers to look in to this information. I'll be in contact once we've any further information, as this is going beyond the normal support teams, we can't give any timescales for further updates.

Joe

View more options

@DanATR Hi, if I need any further information I'll be in touch. Joe

View more options
3: Seeker

With the greatest of respect (I also work in IT support), that's a joke and a non-answer.

After eighteen months of reported issues, and workarounds supplied by customers who (like me) invest in their own routers to address Vodafone's failings, especially when Vodafone as a corporation, refuse to acknowledge that there is an issue, is an insult to your customers generally and to your technically savvy customers specifically.

I commend the social media folks, like Joe, who strive to push this issue through the syrup that is Vodafone broadband's support channels - not having a go at all at the people who post on here - but it would do these people, and the customers, a great service if someone with some authority could review these pages and strive for an actual result.

Like many people who have posted here, I have spent so long trying to persuade Vodafone that I have an issue that I have exceeded the 30 day guarantee period. So I'm stuck with this pile of cack for a year. If I had read this thread at the start, I would never, ever, ever have been so foolish as to switch my broadband to vodafone.

The availability is appalling and the lack of real support (over the best intentions on this forum) is terrible. Weasel words around the SLA stop people like me from leaving the service once we realise how terrible it is.

If anyone from VF reads this and has any kind of clout, I'd love to transfer back to Sky with no penalty from vodafone. If you could make that happen then at least I'd stop caring about vodafone...

View more options

@scott_lk I'd like to assure you, I'm dealing with our 3rd line team directly on this issue and as soon as I have any updates on this I’ll post them on here. I take on board the time that this post has been on here with no apparent solution to get this fixed. The information I've asked for is getting passed even further up the chain beyond our 3rd line team. This will allow them to look in to the nature of the Firmware of the router and the way it reacts in certain circumstances on the network at a customer level. I'm not going to say it'll be fixed soon but I’m at least going to be chasing this up as much as I can. Joe

View more options

OK Joe - appreciate your efforts on our behalf

View more options

Hi all, just a quick update. Our 3rd line team is still investigating the issue and I'm awaiting further updates from them regarding the FEC errors. If i get anything from them, i'll be in touch. Joe

View more options
1: Seeker

Glad I have just found this thread. As I am also suffering with both High FEC errors and CRC errors. Have to admit when I was talking with the broadband team in the UK. They did seem slightly baffled at my language. But fortunatly when I chased later I spoke to on the the out of hours teams not in the UK. Which fortuntaly I speak to quite often with my job, so knew the pereson quite well. So managed to get a few more tests done while on the phone then normal. From investigation. Had issues completeing a Intrusive test Line test. But managed to have SNR reset completed on the line. Due to the errors an automatic cap had been also put on the line. . Had a BT engineer out who has also confrim that the line direct the the exchange had no errors and the line was in extremly good shape and no REIN was effecting on the line it self or premise. The next hop to the Vodafone Core network was fine ast well. Which suggests to me this could be a core infrastucture issue or an NNI issue. As we have had a simular issue with our partner with the cause being an NNI.

View more options

@DanATR Hey Dan, I've sent you a private message as need a bit of information. Joe

View more options
@Joe Still awating your PM.
View more options

@DanATR Got your message, i'll get the information passed on to the 3rd Line team. Joe

View more options

No problem. Phone, email, pm me when ever.... just want to help you guys get this resolved. Even if i need to trial Alpha/Beta firmware or routers, let me know ok.

View more options

Thanks for all your help @DanATR 👍

View more options
14: Advanced member

hmmmmm moderator jo wrote

I've had an update from our 3rd line team, they've tried to replicate the fault using the router and getting 3rd party engineers to introduce noise onto the line to try to replicate the fault.

They can't seem to get this to match the FEC errors you're all seeing.

Joe i got a better idea instead of tech 3 wasting time trying to replicate the fault , why don't you ask them to come to my house and see it first hand , bring some difference router and test equipment , i am more than happy to make drinks all day and i'm sure everyone on here will say the same ,also forums all over the net for the last two year have been saying the same thing with the vodafone router, high fec corrections, wifi has short range , wifi keeps disabling, issues with router when warm, issues with sync ,laptop/tablets etc disconnect from router etc. i think to say how big vodafone is surely they will knows all about it and will have already asked the router manufacturers to look into it , im guessing not a lot can be done and replacing every ones router will cost billions and vodafone will probably have a warehouse with thousands of them in stock ,

i spoken to a tech 2 advisor from your abroad office who seems to know all about the issues with the router and said the only thing you can do is run a third party router which vodafone uk can supply ,but said you need to talk to the tech 2 advisor that's dealing with my account to arrange it , funny how uk office has not said anything about it , if i understand the law right then vodafone are liable for all the costs of the service they are providing you so that would suggest that statement is correct about vodafone sending you a third party router

View more options

Working in software test myself, trying to reproduce the issue is a nightmare. I follow on from the last post, if any engeeers need to come to mine, I would also do the same as above. 

View more options
5: Helper

Same here if I can be of help, as I commented in a previous post I find that when my router starts clocking lots of errors I just restart the link & the errors clock much slower sometimes for a period of weeks other times it's just an hour or two.

View more options
2: Seeker

This issue has been solved in my case - hopefully this information can help someone out there.

tl;dr - Unsure if BT engineer visits had any impact whatsoever. Began noticing router crashes and line degredation were consistently happening whenever turning on my PC (which is linked to my router via Powerline adapter). Disconnecting the powerline adapters and connecting directly via cable has solved my problem.

I had this issue for more than 12 months and had given up on ever getting to the bottom of it. After several periods of frequent contact with the tech 2 team, having effectively no discount to my subscription, and at least 3 enginner visits within my property with temporary results, I decided to try with them one last time and fully expected to be seeking compensation and a free way out of my contract.

This last time was not much different. Two engineers visited my property in the space of a couple of weeks, and I'm aware of at least one other assigned to my case that did not need access. Both indicated that there were no issues visible on the line and it in fact had a high quality score. The final engineer went to the cabinet down the street and said he would request permission to switch the ports. I'm not sure exactly what he did however he reported back that the potential of the line had been increased by ~20mbps. Did this make a difference to the reliability and speed degredation? NO. At least it didn't seem that way.

Since these final two visits I began noticing that my router crashed out harder and more frequently than ever. In some ways that helped track the issue... All I had to do was turn my PC on and it would crash. My PC was linked via TP-Link AV600 Powerline Adapters - turning these OFF and connecting directly to my router via cable has COMPLETELY solved my issues.

As always though, I got a text from Vodafone saying the issues had been resolved and I'm not sure whether to thank them or not. I don't doubt that I could be missing some important details regarding what the BT Engineers have done and whether or not the resolution is down to a number of different factors, however I can only report my experience. Someone with access could look into my case in more details to see if it helps lean towards a solution for others...

Uptime since last reboot
28 days, 22 hours and 24 minutes

Bit rate

Downstream Upstream
Actual data rate75940 (Kbps.)20000 (Kbps.)

Error counter

Indicator name Downstream Upstream
FEC Corrections2300
CRC Error573204

View more options

Out of interest, does everyone on here who has the issue run some sort of power line, delvo solution over their house electrial sockets? and who uses real CAT5e lines? I still need to install CAT5e lines...

View more options

looks like mr sfowler is cause by the Powerline Adapters interfering with the mains supply and transferring it to the router and phone line which is well known if you did your research, the port change you spoke about is called a up lift and shift , and yes there may be a few meg difference on the ports from top to bottom but not 20 meg , i think you will find you had a DLM reset on your line which if you have clear the fault you will get full speed . sorry to say im not sure your issue is the same to be honest , also i dont understand how you can get 0 fec corrections with 3204 crc errors , the issue lot of us are facing is running totaly standed no lan no hubs no power line , no nothing even remove the lan cables to stop anything traveling down the cable , even ran a short adsl cable router.jpg

View more options

another update i had a DLM reset last weeks and my vodafone router sync at 27 and then loads of fec etc and the sync starts dopping and getting slower every time  , i was on the phone with tech 2 and agreed to go back to my old sse speedtouch tg589 router as a test to rule the router out , wile still on the phone we swaped the router and straight away the speed was higher , tech 2 guy said that should not happen but it did  , since then my router has resync again and has gone up even more , which to say i have had 5 openreach engineer here and 5 DLM resets and every time my vodafone router will drops as low as 16 meg on a 80/20meg vodafone line if that is not proof then i dont know what is , can i just ask mr vodafone moderator has you asked if they can come here and stop waisting time and look into this , 

View more options
2: Seeker

I understand your sceptisicm, I can only share my experience. Being ex-IT repair and still working in IT I know fine well how to debug an issue and have had the same experiences that everyone is reporting in this thread. Turning off the powerline adapters certainly had no effect in the past, it's only after all these visits and multiple occassions of Vodafone saying they've solved the issue that powerline adapters appeared to be the one remaining issue.

As I said, there's the absolute possibility there are finer details that are unknown to me that led to this.

View more options