main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

5: Helper

Well if the line stays up at least your son will stop giving you grief 

So my PPP has now been up for 13days 4hrs and errors Downstream FEC 3222 CRC 459, Upstream FEC 3.5 billion+ & CRC 4016. There's loads of posts across different forums which say the VF router is the problem but so far I've not managed to find a single statement from VF saying they may have an issue or even they are discussing with the suppplier the reports of problems.

View more options

@frugal thought there would be a logical reason for the counter topping out, fortunately after my initial issues with getting connected my link seems stable but clocking loads of Upstream errors, unfortunately I don't have a spare VDSL router to prove it's the VF router and have no intentions of spending my pension to cure an issue which people are  saying it's a VF router problem. I think i've now give the service sufficient time to stabilise (if it was going to) so I will be contacting VF for a solution.

View more options
4: Newbie

Hahaha absolutely! Least he’s stopped thumping on the floor.

i managed to catch the FEC corrections at 4.2 billion and yep once it hit that magic number it rolled back to zero and none of the other counters changed - pp up 14 hours & 25 minutes when it rolled over and hurrah it didn’t disconnect!  FEC up load corrections are between 3-500000 every few seconds. Just quite concerning the number of other errors in the space of 14 hours. Wish I had a spare router to try too!

Was too good to be true, 3 disconnections in the past half an hour, upload speed dropped down to 4 😣

View more options

Sorry to hear that, been reading up on SNR Margin and interference, also testing with an AM radio, can't believe the amount of noise in my study where the router is, even my laptop generates noise, unfortunately the master is buried so will have to unearth & turn off all the power in my study to see if that changes anything,  Will update asap.

View more options

Thought i’d give you an update.....

Well actually thought I would give you a few days off from my moaning 😉

Connection is stable at 35 download and under 6 upload 😣 We had an awful day on Thursday of disconnections but I believe this was tech 2 trying to adjust things because sync speed for download and upload was changing every minute ( and the disconnections) at one point we were up to 50mbps download and 15 upload but disconnections became a nightmare. By the afternoon we were back down to 35/6 and low and behold I get call to say there is a line error and Open Reach will come out Monday 🤦🏼‍♀️....they said there was a line error last time and Open Reach said there wasn’t, oh we’ll see what Monday brings! 

How is did you get on with your interference results?

View more options

So still going around in circles are you - I worked on local lines in the 1960's and had test equipment then that could identify the exact problem (although no broadband to contend with we did have other carrier, out of voice band, equipment) - would be interesting to ask exactly what the fault is they've identified ............

Well I've been a little preoccupied so not taken my study apart to get to the master socket so will have to update more another day - I have breeze block walls so Wifi is always a bit iffy so have a spare router configured as a bridge in my lounge, this also allows Devolo Cockpit (powerline adaptors) software to work correctly (if you run via the VF router the adaptors aren't visible) - however whilst I was looking at the FEC problem I decided I could remove one cable by putting a switch to connect things in the study, I used another old router configured to bridge mode which when I accessed also allowed the Devolo software to connect to the powerline adaptors correctly, thus confirming there is definitely a config / firmware issue with the VF router (Homeplug AV protocol), however the FEC's did not diminish at all with these local network changes

Further info as & when I get to the master socket

View more options

Finished reorganising my local network Saturday then had a power failure yesterday morning, although I still have FEC errors clocking since the restart the router has only been clocking 100 ish a second rather than 40 -50000, now I don't know if it was the power dropping or something else changed out on the network, will update further in a few days.

View more options

Open reach guy has just left after 3 hours...we have a resolution and not one i’m happy about. My line has now been capped at 25 down and 5 up, There apparently is nothing wrong with line but something to do with distance, we are 700m from cabinet apparently. Going from cabinet is 80 but it drops the further along it goes.

So yep now my line is capped I have no errors...not sure how I feel about it to be honest.  Evening streaming is not going to be fun.

View more options

I have a 14mbps download and we stream two now tv and 2 xboxes at the same time without a single issue plus kids tablets so shouldnt think you would have an issue with 25?

View more options

Fingers crossed!

View more options

If you're now properly stable I would expect 25Mbps to be sufficient, it's not so much the sync speed as the throughput you need to achieve and as many other posts are discussing there's certainly issues with slowdown during peak periods, also I think if that is the max sync speed they can achieve then you need to be asking VF for a reduction in your monthly charges.

View more options

Absolutely, however open reach guy did they not to lower package as if I then go down to the up to 52mb package my speed will likely to drop down to 13mb 😣

Just got to keep an eye now on throughput speeds as even when we were connected at 55, in the evening they dropped horrendously. Firestick was lucky to get 5mb.

View more options

Mm think he's using simple maths there when it's actually much more complicated, you said you have managed 55Mbps but unstable so about 30% attenuation so if you drop to the 38Mbps offerring then that is 27Mbps and although the distance is the same with better error rates at lower speeds I would anticipate better stability so you may not be that different to what you have now. I would wait for an offer from VF and then make a decision if you want to go through the hassle of getting then to slow it to 38Mbps and monitoring that & then possibly having to revert.

View more options

I actually think that after 3 hours, they decided to just cap my speed instead of finding actually what is causing it to be unstable...but that’s my theory 😉😂

Onwards and upwards ( or down in my case ) if it stays stable then that is fine.

View more options
10: Established

Not sure what the Openreach guy was on about, but you won't get a lower speed if you drop to the lower package.  It's all the same technology, just the packages provide a capped top speed.  So regardless of whether to are on the 76 or 38 you'll still only get what you're line is capable of.

700m is quite a distance.  It's worth googling the BT Wholesale ADSL Checker and use that.  It gives a good amount of information based on whether your line is 'clean' or 'impacted', so shows the min and max you could expect.

View more options

Can you enlighten me? I’m not that technical lol. Just attached from wholesale site.

Also does he mean 700meters from exchange or the green cabinet? The green cabinet is literally 5 minutes walk away if that?

View more options
10: Established

700 metres will be from the green cabinet to your property.  It's amazing how long the lines can be as they don't always go in a straight line.

Looking at your stats, you really should be getting much higher speeds.  Even on an 'impacted' line - which means there's factors such as poor line quality, noise, crosstalk etc., you're expected to get between 35 - 59.3 Mbps, you're current 25Mbps is way below this and also the 'handback threshold' of 30 Mbps.  Generally anything in this category can be cancelled without charge (from what I've read, so don'y quote me on that!).  What it does suggest though is that there's either a problem with the BT checker (it's showing very optimistic results) or there's an issue with the line. 

Which ISP were you with previously and what speeds were you getting?

View more options

Thanks for the reply, well Vodafone believe there is a line issue but open reach don’t, however he did say that as soon as the line was connected at cabinet it started losing speed too quickly and he didn’t like it, he changed the “pair”.

unforunately I can’t compare ISP’s as we are new to the property. 😔 Hmm I might go knock on my neighbours door see what kind of speeds they have, I imagine they have fibre with two teenage boys in the house 😂 I notice they have a bt routercome up when my phone searches for WiFi.

I’m really at a loss with it now tbh.

View more options