Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High latency and packet loss

J141
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Hi Everyone, The past week or so but particularly the past 4 days I have been seeing packet loss of up to 35% from about 4pm onwards usually until about 11pm also my latency to the gatway IP has doubled from 4ms to 8-10ms (this is 24x7) its making the connection very intermittent and unusable at times. Im 99% sure its not anything my side as a friend in the area is having the same issues. I am getting these stats from my firewall, I dont use the Vodafone router. The Vodafone broadband checker says there are no issues and its next to impossible to get through to anyone on support chat. This is using the Cityfiber Vodafone network, is anyone else having issues or know of a better way to raise this with Vodafone? Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

Thanks glad you are on it, the support guy I spoke to the other day was very helpful and has passed it to level 2 support, I got a txt today saying there was an outage in my area so it looks like you guys are on the case.

Tried agian for the 4th time, It's being looked into as I am aware but the social media team just send you in a department loop untill you get told by the wfx team "it's being looked into" but give no time scale as to when it will be resolved.

vodafone not able to raise ticket.jpg

htyaH
13: Advanced Member

I've been having issues with packet loss too on the Gigafast plan as well lately.

Its firewall software called Pfsense, you have to replace your router with it so not easy to just install and run

vodehome23
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Did Vodafone ever resolve this? I have had Vodafone for a week and the latency jumps from 4 to 47 to 10 to 50 and so on. It's never stable, and constantly all over the place. Speed on lan is full 900 but speed over WiFi never goes over 500 and on average it's 300, but mainly 150, and even then due to the latency and packet loss it means websites take ages to load and videos can cut out of they load. 

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

My experience has been a cycle of around 4 months of perfect broadband, followed by about 6 months of the poor routing along with high pings and low speeds. 

Not to mention a couple of forays into static ip which just seemed to make things worse - Geolocation errors mess up speed tests and streaming. 

Jayach

@vodehome23 wrote:

Did Vodafone ever resolve this? I have had Vodafone for a week and the latency jumps from 4 to 47 to 10 to 50 and so on. It's never stable, and constantly all over the place. 

You are referring to Wi-Fi and latency to the router. (as that was your complaint in your own thread)

WiFi speeds not correct - Community home (vodafone.co.uk)

This thread is about actual latency over the broadband, there is a big difference. What latency do you get on a wired connection? 

Ripshod

Good catch @Jayach