cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How can transferring a landline number be so difficult ?

New_Customer
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have just transferred my home phone and broadband from BT to Vodafone.  All the way through the process I have asked if I can keep my telephone number and at every stage I have been told that the number can and will be ported.  Until yesterday, that is.

I am now being told by Vodafone that because my number was originally "owned" by Virgin Media it cannot be ported from BT to Vodafone.  Has anyone else ever had this problem and does anyone have any suggestions how Vodafone might resolve it ?

11 REPLIES 11

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @New_Customer

Vodafone can do the transfer with any other company except Virgin Media and there is no reason for being unable to keep the same number you were previously using, the only thing you should need to do is to contact Virgin Media to let them know you are leaving to make the arrangements.

Please see below, the information with a draft letter to Virgin Media is at the bottom of the page under switching service.

Vodafone Broadband

Sorry @New_Customer

I misread your post.  @BandOfBrothers is correct but I hope you get it sorted.

BandOfBrothers

Hi @New_Customer

In Vodafones Terms and Conditions they do say they cannot guarantee they'll be able to keep your old number in afraid. 

This should have been mentioned. 

Terms and Conditions. Screenshot_20180114-162914.jpg

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi @BandofBrothers & @AnnS

I was aware that Vodafone offer no guarantees, which is why I spoke to them three times before the transfer took place and each time I was told my existing number could and would be ported.

According to Ofcom ...

"You can keep your existing landline telephone number when you switch if you want to. This is known as number 'porting'. If you want to keep your number, let the provider you wish to switch to know." ... and ...

"If you want to keep your existing landline number, let the provider you wish to switch to know. However, you may not be able to keep your existing landline number if you are switching landline provider at the same time as moving home."

I have switched from BT from Vodafone but apparently the problem lies with Virgin Media.  I have spoked to BT and Virgin Media and they both say there is no reason why my old number cannot be ported, but it would appear that Vodafone don't know how to do this.  Any suggestions that I can pass on to Vodafone would be very much appreciated.

AnnS

Hi @New_Customer

If you were moving house being unable to take the number with you it would be quite understandable, but not when you are staying at the same address.  Where a landline is concerned, so many people have the number.

As you have been in contact with the Broadband Team, the best thing to do is to wait for a reply from the Team here on the forum.  If keeping the number is possible, they should be in a better position to help.

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@New_Customer We're sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having. As previously advised by @BandOfBrothers, we can't guarantee that you'll be able to keep your number when you move over to us.

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch, so we can get this query passed to our Broadband team for further investigation. 

Hi @TJ,

Thank you for your response.  I have switched suppliers several times over the years and whilst no supplier ever makes any guarantees, they have all managed to transfer my number without any problems.  According to BT and Virgin Media the number is still available to be transferred, it just needs an appropriate request to be placed with OpenReach.

I have provided you with my account number and contact details in a private message.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for updating us @New_Customer, I can see we've received your email and have since replied to this.

As you've mentioned you've previously contacted the Broadband team, please reply back to our latest email response and we'll raise this to the team directly for you.

Im having the same problem. Virgin media say they port numbers all the time and that vodafone havent even made the request. It is meant to be done on some kind of computer system.

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We're happy to check what's happening for you @Psheehanuk. Please send us your details via the private message I've sent you.