Welcome to Vodafone Community
I have the strangest issue... I'm on Vodafone broadband (new customer, pretty happy so far) and I run a website (moshville.co.uk - IP address 220.127.116.11, this is relevant later). Yesterday evening I was working on the site and experienced problems viewing images on it. This is while within Wordpress as a site admin, and when browsing the site. Adverts still appear (vis Google ads), but I can't see any images hosted on my website. They're either replaced by the standard "broken image" icon, or a thin line. See screenshot:This is the only site I have a problem with. Every other site is fine, including two others hosted with the same web host. I have tried the following:
The one thing I found which cures it is not using the Vodafone broadband. If I use my mobile phone and disable wifi, i.e. browse via 4G, it works fine. If I tether my desktop to the phone, again thus going via 4G, then it's fine. As soon as I go via the Vodafone router / broadband, the problem comes back - on every single device in my house. None of my colleagues working elsewhere in the UK have the problem (I don't think any are with Vodafone - it would be interesting to check this!).
Therefore, I think it's fair to say the issue - somehow - is down to the router or the Vodafone network. My parental settings are "off" - there are none. I've rebooted the router, no joy.
I've run packet capturing using Wireshark when refreshing the page and the traces look very different. The Vodafone one (from my limited ability to read these things) seems to query my host server and then doesn't revisit it again. The IP address appears only early in the trace and then vanishes. Redirected or gives up, I'm not sure. The trace done via 4G clearly shows multiple visits to the site, pulling (I presume) each image down as requested. Trace files are attached as a ZIP file as this site won't let me upload plain PCAP files.
Does anyone have the remotest idea about this? The only thing I've not done is a hard reset of my router which I'm loathe to do due to having to reconfigure the wifi again, but if needs must I'll try it.
Oh, and to clarify, I have no obscure settings in the router beyond a static IP address for my desktop machine's CAT5 connection. No port forwarding or anything at all.
Solved! Go to best answer.
@mbames: B*gger me. It worked.
Set the DNS on the router to 18.104.22.168/22.214.171.124 and rebooted. Strange that ipconfig /all still lists the DNS as being 192.168.1.1, but I guess the router itself utilises the new DNS addresses rather than passing them to the client machine. Also weird how the rest of the website worked fine, it was only (most) images.
Either way, all fixed. Brilliant! Gold star!
Yep, the router performs the DNS lookup requests for the client. You can also (in decent routers) send specific DNS servers out to the clients via the DHCP.
more evidence that the VF service is gash.
It's pretty much impossible to quiz Vodafone's DNS servers in such a manner as to test them, but it wouldn't surprise me if their listings are out of date, due to their struggling to update from the regional DNS servers. All thanks to the same issues that reduce everything passing through Vodafone London to a crawl!
If that's the case, then we'll probably see VFs network going down more and more frequently!