main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Is Router OpenVPN support planned?

1: Seeker

Hi,

I'm looking at point my router to a VPN service to cover all traffic for my household. My current VPN provider requires the Router support OpenVPN and from what I can understand, this isn't supported. Is it supported and if not will it be in the future?

Lastly would Vodafone allow me to order my own specific Router instead of the default one given.

Thanks,

Adam

View more options
5 REPLIES 5
10: Established

@ajduff14 wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking at point my router to a VPN service to cover all traffic for my household. My current VPN provider requires the Router support OpenVPN and from what I can understand, this isn't supported. Is it supported and if not will it be in the future?

Lastly would Vodafone allow me to order my own specific Router instead of the default one given.

Thanks,

Adam

Can't answer the VPN question specifically but yes, you can user your own modem and router or combined modem/router.  You will need to get your user ID and password from Vodafone - they will freely give you that information.   (Use live chat and set the email transcript option.)

Quite a number of people use their own kit as the Vodafone router is a piece of junk.  Plenty of posts on that and on how to set up third party kit.

View more options
1: Seeker

Cheers for that! Good to know, it also kind of answer my first question. If OpenVPN isn't supported on the default router I think I'd prefer to just get my own.

I'll get in contact over live chat and get asking about usernames or potential router support.

Adam

View more options
10: Established

@ajduff14 wrote:

Cheers for that! Good to know, it also kind of answer my first question. If OpenVPN isn't supported on the default router I think I'd prefer to just get my own.

I'll get in contact over live chat and get asking about usernames or potential router support.

Adam

I don't currently use a VPN (unless one counts Opera) but somebody will be along no doubt who knows whether or not OpenVPN is supported.  There is a great depth of knowledge amongst the Community' users.

View more options
4: Newbie

OpenVPN isn't on the default router, it does say it supports L2TP and PPTP, though I've not tried either. I'm currently using a TP-Link Archer VR600 (due to problems with the standard router) which does support OpenVPN.

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

It's not supported just at the moment @ajduff14. It may be in a future firmware update.

You can use your own router though, you just need to get the username and password from us. 

If you're quite techy, some routers can be flashed with customer firmware called DD-WRT 

which is great for setting up a VPN. It's a bit involved however, so not the easiest to setup.

Blair

View more options