Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Issues Connecting to work VPN

TheGrownUpGeek
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Good Morning All

I was wondering if anyone else has had issues connecting to Work VPNs on Vodafone Home Broadband.  I have a work laptop that uses the Cisco AnyConnect client to connect to our corporate VPN.  This has been checked multiple times by my work IT team and functions correctly when connected to any other internet connection Issues only arise when connected to my Vodafone broadband at home. The VPN tunnel is established but traffic is not being passed.  This logically would suggest that the issue is being caused by the Vodafone Broadband.

I have on multiple occasions spoke to the customer service team who just keep repeating the same unhelpful line that it must be the configuration of the VPN client.  Even when retold that it works on every other internet connection except VF they refuse to assist or provide any useful help.  When as advised by my work IT team i questioned whether they placed any restriction on VPNs they basically said we dont support VPNs and refused to help.  Great Customer Experience that im sure VF must be proud of.

Has anyone else has similar issues or managed to find a resolution?

Thanks in advance

23 REPLIES 23

mbames
13: Advanced Member

I've got 3 laptops which connect 2 different Cisco AnyConnect VPNs and they work without issue on Vodafone (both using the VF router and my own).  It does sound the like issue is something to do with the AnyConnect config at the corporate end.

Have you tried generating the AnyConnect logs and reviewing them / sending them to your network team at work to them to look at / raise with Cisco?

Have you got all VPN features turned off on the router?  You could try placing the work laptop in the DMZ on the VF router.

Hi,

I have the exact same issue with Cisco AnyConnect. It works perfectly when I use a hotspot through my Vodafone mobile 3G connection, but with WiFi, all connections time out under the VPN.

I've reached out to Chat support. They instructed me to change my DNS settings to manual and then 8.8.8.8./8.8.8.8/ which I did, but it didn't help. Chat person refered me to the "advanced broadband" support team over the phone. However, when I called them, they said they only check if your internet connection works, and don't go beyond that. Pretty frustrating.

Has anyone had any luck in solving this?

Blair
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @irene_l It's difficult for us to provide support for a VPN service, however we actually use Cisco AnyConnect when working offsite so I can confirm that it works fine over our router.

I wonder if the VPN client's just not opening the correct ports on your router? A reset might help if this is the case. Just hold in the reset button on the back for 20 seconds and give the router 3 or 4 minutes to re-establish the connection.

Blair

Hi Blair,

thanks so much for your quick reply! I understand, but I still wish there was some kind of support I could get, even against a fee, because it’s important to solve this.

I tried resetting as well, guided by the Chat support team, but still no luck.

The strange thing is that Cisco AnyConnect works just fine with every other connection I have tried (my 3G mobile hotspot, the coffee place on the corner wifi, friends wifi, airport wifi), all except my own at home. I even had a previous Vodafone broadband router at another address in the past, and it worked just fine. 

If anyone has any suggestions, I’d love to hear them!

mbames
13: Advanced Member

Have you been able to try a different (non VF) router on the line at home?

Thanks for the suggestion. No, I haven’t tried that - will give it a go.

Hi All

Thanks for the replies, i can confirm that this was a VF issue but not with the line.   It something within the VF supplied router causing the issue.

As soon as i replaced the VF router with an ASUS 111905 DSL-AC68U all is functioning normally and has been for about a week.  Ironically VF still maintain its nothing to do with thier hardware even though as soon as that was replaced things have been functioning normally.

Hope it helps.

Curious.... I wonder if you AnyConnect uses a non-standard port?  Certainly I don't have any issues and I connect to 2 different AnyConnect networks from home (with both their ##~## router and my own equipment)

I know it is some time since this issue was open.

Can I ask which VF router you were using?

I have a VOX 2.5 (older router) and VOX 3 (new router)

I keep getting the wan drop message from the Firewall and I suspect it is the firewall inside the VOX 3.0 that is doing it.