main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Looking for a decent all-in-one router to replace the Vodafone connect router?

2: Seeker

Hi,

I am at the end of my tether with the Vodafone supplied router. I am having to change the channels 2-3 times a day! I have spoken to three different tech support  guys this week,  and tried everything they suggested but still no joy. At times during the day I am getting Wifi speeds between 1Mbps and 4Mbps, ridiculous! The package I've taken out with Vodafone is the Fibre 38. I had just the standard broadband with Sky previously and got near constant speeds of between 8Mbps & 9.5Mbps with just the occasionally changing of channels.  So I can only assume the Sky Router was way better than the Vodafone connect router.

One of the tech guys told me if I wanted to use my own router I would have to pick one from a list of Openreach approved routers, and gave me the link below:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/11/calling-clarity-openreachs-broadband-modem-conformance...

As the list is quite extensive can anyone please recommend one that's in the list, is an improvement over the Vodafone one, and isn't too expensive?... I would prefer an all-one-in than a separate modem, router etc to keep it simple.

Many thanks

View more options
16 REPLIES 16
17: Community Champion

Hi @Kal139

I agree its quite an extensive list. 

There are so many options for routers available nowadays with some having features and specs that are better suited to their individual needs and pocket. 

I use the Bt Home Hub 6 and ive got to say its one of the best one used. 

I would suggest Google searching and looking at real user reviews and opinions. YouTube reviews help me. 

If you do decide to use your own Router then this link may also help you Workaround-USE-YOUR-OWN-THIRD-PARTY-ROUTER.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Thanks @BandOfBrothers...

A quick question,  I couldn't see the BT Home Hub 6 on the list in that "ispreview" link... is it under a diferent name?

Also, I presume the BT Smart Hub and BT Home Hub6 are one and the same thing?

Cheers

View more options

...forgot to also check is the BT Hub 6 one of these all-in-one like the vodafone router?

View more options

Yes they are the same thing but AFAIK the BT router/modem is locked down so that you cannot use it as a router/modem with Vodafone, but only as a router connected to a Vodafone modem. This will help with WiFi speeds, but not with the speed the modem puts through.

I had similar issues to yours, although on a 76 Mb contract. I used Vodafone webchat to get my log in details (saying that I would use an Openreach approved router/modem instead, without specifying which one (you could just tell them you are getting one from the list even if you then do not) and got myself a TP-Link AC1600 which has been brilliant so far. It pretty much takes the speed received by the modem (54 Mb in my case) and puts it through WiFi with much better results than the Vodafone router/modem. There are lots of settings to play with (including auto-reboot to clear the RAM every so often to get back full speed), a useful app for your phone, and it is good value for money. Reviews are good too. Whatever router/modem you go for make sure you keep your Vodafone router/modem in case you need to troubleshoot your line in the future. Vodafone will then ask you to plug in their router/modem.

HTH.

View more options

Hi @Resali,

Regarding the TP-Link AC1600, is that Archer R600?... on the tp-link website it says you connect it via ethernet cable to a fibre modem which in trun is connected to the line. So basically I would need a separate modem, along with the Tp-link router, is this correct?... if so what box are you using for the modem?

Thanks 

View more options

@Resali...  typo... I meant Archer VR600

View more options

@Resali....  Oops apologies, just looked at the tp-link website again and missed that it is a modem AND Router...  it just also has the functinality that it can cannot to a fibre modem via ethernet cabel as well!.... So it is an all-in-one! so perfect for me

View more options

...downside is it's still a little on the expensive side, was looking for a slightly cheaper solution. 

View more options

I paid £79.99 at Amazon but I can see that the price has gone up again. I will probably use the same router/modem for future fibre providers too, so I was happy to spend this much.

View more options

I will keep the TP-Link AC1600 (Archer VR600) in mind (as recommended by Resali)... 

But is anyone using an all-in-one from the approved list in the weblink below the Vodafone agent told me to look at?... the only ones he sad weren't supported were the AVM, Arcadyan & Netgear ones in the list. He suggested picking one of the Huawei ones?

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/11/calling-clarity-openreachs-broadband-modem-conformance...

Thanks

View more options
3: Seeker

I have just purchased the Archer VR600 to replace my vodafone router. I have my user name and password already from vodafone. However, even after following minimalist instructions in box, online stuff etc, i havent got anywhere. Please can anyone help?  Need it as basic as it comes.

Plugged router in, (when should i plug in phone cable, tried but no led light came up)

managed to connect to router

ISP - other or BT-VDSL

INTERNET CONNECTION TYPE: PPPoE

user and password as supplied by vodafone

operation mode dsl modem router

DSL settings: ADSL Auto Sync-up

Annexe Type A/L/M

Bit swap ticked

SRA not ticked

IPTV ?????

DHCP ON

Any help appreciated

View more options

@Castroger wrote:

I have just purchased the Archer VR600 to replace my vodafone router. I have my user name and password already from vodafone. However, even after following minimalist instructions in box, online stuff etc, i havent got anywhere. Please can anyone help?  Need it as basic as it comes.

Plugged router in, (when should i plug in phone cable, tried but no led light came up)

managed to connect to router

ISP - other or BT-VDSL

INTERNET CONNECTION TYPE: PPPoE

user and password as supplied by vodafone

operation mode dsl modem router

DSL settings: ADSL Auto Sync-up

Annexe Type A/L/M

Bit swap ticked

SRA not ticked

IPTV ?????

DHCP ON

Any help appreciated

Hi.

This should help: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/HOW-TO-Use-a-third-party-router-on-Vodafone-VDS...

Resali

View more options

Thanks for the reply. I have followed that link already but unfortunately didn't get very far. I really do need very basic instructions. That left me confused

View more options
13: Advanced Member

Is there an option to configure the router for Plusnet VDSL or failing that BT VDSL? If so select either of those, then try to enter your connection userid and password.

View more options

THANKYOU

Just tried Plusnet option and it's worked!!!!

View more options
9: Established

Remember you don't have to select a router from the approved list. You pick one from the list, tell them that is what you are using - get your username/password.

Now use whatever router you like.

View more options