Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

MAC Address Filter Not Functioning - THG3000 Box - Full Fibre

aerostar
2: Seeker

How can I have MAC Filter on for both WIFI and ETHERNET simultaneously... ?

If I set MAC Filtering for Ethernet devices and also set MAC Filtering for WIFI devices then no WIFI devices can connect.  It only works if only one or the other is set....  which is not very safe. Unless I'm missing out on what's happening.

22 REPLIES 22

aerostar

.... if I set both MAC Filters on , save and logout then my phone, when trying to connect says  -  'connected without internet' but cannot even access back into router.  All WIFI devices are also disconnected on both WIFI 1 and 2.   

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

So, I don't have a THG3000 so I can't verify this...

I can't ever recall seeing a MAC filter ability on the wired LAN ports!

MAC filtering often comes in two flavours:

1)  Only devices specifically listed enabled can access the local WiFi network

2) Devices specifically mentioned are disabled from accessing the local WiFi network

It's not uncommon that devices on WiFi2 (Guest) connections are not given access to the router  WebUI!

If that doesn't help then maybe screenshots of what you are doing on the router would help!

Ripshod

One thing I noticed with the vf router's. When you first go into the mac filter settings the default is to 'deny' access to mac addresses in the list. You have to manually change that setting to 'allow'.

mac filtering on the ethernet is pointless as it's a physical connection - I think you'll see someone come into your house to hook up. 

Yes, I have set the MAC Filters for the WIFI 1 and the WIFI 2 (guest) and they work as they should. Only those devices that have their MAC number listed are allowed to connect.

I have also setup the ETHERNET part of the network and listed and applied that filter which works as it should by only allowing listed MAC numbers to connect via cable.

The fault is when I turn on both of these filters together then all WIFI connections are blocked. Therefore I have to leave one or the other off thus leaving part of the network unprotected from MAC Filtering.

I realise that to access the ethernet part of the network someone has to have physical access to plug in a cable but if there are disgruntled friends, partners, workmen etc who maybe want to gain access to your network when your out...  whats to stop them.

As far as I can remember every router that I have had incorporated MAC Filtering...  I thought it was a good extra layer of security.

Jayach

For anyone to access your router via Wi-Fi, they will need to know you Wi-Fi password.

If you allow unauthorised physical access to your router, no amount of configuration will secure it. All they would need to do is a factory reboot with the button..

Take your tin foil hat off and get a life.

Why do you resort to derogatory personal remarks ...  I came here to ask for help with a problem with my router,  what is your problem? 

If you have an opinion that's fine why try and demean and belittle someone in a public forum into accepting your apparent lower standards? 

Wonder why the router manufacturers even bother to include MAC Filters ... must be a reason...  mmmm... wonder what it is then.

Ripshod

With the right software anyone can sniff your WiFi and obtain your wpa2 password. While mac filtering is useful a determined sniffer can also spoof mac addresses and still access your WiFi. Hopefully wpa3 (when it becomes mainstream) will stop that for a few years until they find a way around that. So I do understand the OP's concerns there.

It's not tin-hat, it's a real concern.

@aerostar why the concern over LAN mac filtering? I just see no point using it in a domestic setup. I have 3 routers and it's only the vodafone that even has this setting. Just because it's there it doesn't mean you need to use it, unless you're using unsecured APs. It's more secure to use static IPs and disable dhcp, or even set up a radius server (802.1x) for authentication. 

Jayach

@aerostar 

Sorry if I offended you, but you are complaining that MAC filtering on the Ethernet doesn't work properly (and seriously what good is it?) but admit you would allow physical access to the router.

@aerostar wrote:

I realise that to access the ethernet part of the network someone has to have physical access to plug in a cable but if there are disgruntled friends, partners, workmen etc who maybe want to gain access to your network when your out...  whats to stop them.

I honestly can't see what the problem is.

Ripshod

If I was as worried as you I'd set static IPs and disable dhcp, or go the radius route. Job done.

By disgruntled do you mean 'ex'? How would a disgruntled friend/partner even get access to your home? Why have a disgruntled morkman working for you (if they even would)?

No disrespect, but you're overthinking this.