Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Misleading information when moving home

aliens30586
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi everyone,

I have moved recently to a new place and I have decided to keep using Vodafone for my broadband in the new property. 

Before moving I was in a rolling contract of superfast 2 and I explicitly asked on the phone and via chat “will I still have the same contract (Rolling contract, 23£ per month, Superfast 2) at new property?” and the answer in both cases was yes.

Yesterday I received my first bill since I arrived at the new property and with my big surprise, I found out now I have a new agreement of 18 months and the price of the broadband is 30£.

Since I never agree to start a new contract, I double checked again the chat transcript (I have a copy of it) to be sure the information I got was that I was supposed to be on the same contract.

When I spoke yesterday with the Home Moves team, they told me there is any note on my account saying I have agreed to start a new contract. However, if I want to cancel my broadband, I have to pay early termination fees as the agreement ends in 2022.

I don’t understand why things should be so difficult with this company. 

If I would have known I would have got a new contract (even more expensive), I would have definitely ended my broadband at that point and looked for other options with other companies.

I understand people can make mistakes and give you wrong information but, in my case, I got the same wrong answer twice and at this point I really think they should honour what they told me.

7 REPLIES 7

Jayach
16: Advanced member

That strange as even if you were starting a new contract Superfast 2 should only be £23.50.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/deals/superfast

Edit: Just realised that is for a 2 year contract.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @aliens30586, I'm sorry to hear there may have been some misinformation or misleading information here! Just to clarify our policy with Home Moves, If you are within the last 90 days of your existing Broadband contract at the time of your home move, you will be required to upgrade as part of the home move process. If you're outside of this 90 day period, your existing contract will be carried over to your new property. 

Do you know if you were within, or outside of, this time frame when you moved?

Hi @Anonymous,

thank you for the information.

Just to double check I understood correctly what you wrote in your message.

There are two options:

- if the agreement lenght is going to expire within three months at the time of my home move, I am required to upgrade and it means I will start a new contract in my new property;
- for any other case (agreement lenght is not expiring within three months at the time of my home move or rolling contracts), my existing contract will be carried over to my new property.

Is this correct?

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's right @aliens30586. If you're in the last 90 days of your contract, you'll need to upgrade when you move. Outside of this time frame, you'll just be able continue with your current contract at your new address.

Hi @Mark,

thanks for confirming it.

This makes things even weirder because my agreement lenght ended on August 2019.

So, according to what you said I should have been able to continue with my current contract at my new address as I was on a rolling contract.

Hovewer, I was put on a new contract of 30£ with a agreement lenght of 18 months.

Jayach

@aliens30586 wrote:

This makes things even weirder because my agreement lenght ended on August 2019.

So, according to what you said I should have been able to continue with my current contract at my new address as I was on a rolling contract.

Hovewer, I was put on a new contract of 30£ with a agreement lenght of 18 months.

If you were just paying month to month I think that technically that means you are out of contract. Continuing with your existing contract only happens if you have more than 3 month left on your contract when moving. At least that's how I read Mark's comments.

Hi @Jayach,

I have been paying month to month since I started the contract so nothing as changed from that point of view.

I explicitly included rolling contracts in the "for any other case" option when I ask to confirm if I understood correcly.

And it has been confirmed.

My understanding is:

- if you have less than 3 months left, you are required to upgrade and it means I will start a new contract in my new property;

- if you have more than 3 months left or you are out of contract, the existing contract will be carried over to my new property.

I don't understand why it is so difficult to get the a fully detailed answer from this company. You always get half of the truth and the rest is a mistery....