main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

My rights if my BB connection isn't at the speed promise guarantee

Highlighted
3: Seeker

Hi all.

I just wanted to ask, before I contact Voda directly, whether anyone knows what my rights are by way of leaving Vodafone early (ie before the end of my fixed term) considering it's been at least 3 or 4 months since my broadband speed was confirmed as reduced below my "ultimate speed guaranteed" speed and a discount was applied to my account.

I don't exactly have lightning fast fibre in my area anyway so the fastest I should be able to get is 25Mbps but I'm only getting 21Mbps. Doesn't sound a lot, but when it's this and no more compared to others close to my home who get over 60Mbps the difference is noticeable.

I just wanted to ask whether I have the right to leave Voda early because they're not providing me with what they said they would. If so, it maybe something I will consider should I find a competitive deal elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for your help and response.

View more options
10 REPLIES 10

Consider yourself lucky ! 

I get a measly 8.8 mb which is okay for most of the time except at 10.30 -11.30 am when it drops to under 4mb .They give me a £2 discount per month but appear to have no intention of fixing it - since December 2018 ( it was 13 plus in the first week I signed up , but appeared to drop off after a 4 week leave of absence  - I strongly suspect they believe we don't need such a fast speed !) .

View more options
15: Advanced member

First up you need to dig out your joining letter and see exactly what you were promised.  You are looking for the minimum download speed.  If your letter has a minimum guaranteed download speed that is even lower you can ignore that lower speed as it's legally unenforcible.  Also if Vodafone try to tell you that by download speed they mean sync speed, then they are also incorrect on this.

So you've dug out your joining letter and your download speed is lower than the minimum that you were quoted!  In the first instance you MUST give Vodafone the chance to investigate and correct the error.  Only if that fails can you start the disputes process and leave free of charge if you can't come to a settlement.

*If you find you need to go into dispute, then print out a copy of the terms and conditions and go through them with a fine tooth comb - it's an apauling badly written document with loads of loop holes that you can take advantage of!

View more options

@djandymyers Have you tried using a Ethernet cable connection, to see if there's any changes in the download speeds. Are you running your speed tests through speedtest.net? If you're still experiencing lower speeds than guaranteed following this, please get in touch via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or contact us on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK.

Alternatively, you can speak to an adviser using Live ChatPlease also provide a link to this thread, along with your username; this will save time and we’ll be able to help you quicker.

@Pattie74 Going off the information you've already provided in your post, I believe we'll need to run further tests on your line from an account/network level. Please can you also contact us using any of the following channels mentioned above?

View more options
4: Newbie

Thing is, its a loophole. Just look at the link here https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/broadband/speed-guarantee
It states

"We guarantee your speed to your router because we can control it
Sync speed is the speed from your exchange to your router. We use this speed as a measurement for our guarantee as it’s in the control of both us and the line provider.

Superfast speeds to your router - or money off until it's fixed
If your broadband speed to your router ever drops below our guaranteed speed, we'll give you a 15%"

Therefore it doesn't matter if your speed your devices are recieving is less than your minimum speed. Its the sync speed, its all in the t&cs and its how they get away with it. The vodafone app showed i got my minimum speed (to router) but on a third party internet speed test i am getting 2mps. It is pitiful, and disgusting that they can get away with it. I can't use netflix or any catch up tv that requires the internet, i cant even browse social media on my phone. It will not work, i just get blank screens. We reached out on twitter over 2 months ago and got no reply. Cant wait to cancel. Shame on you as a company vodafone.

View more options
15: Advanced member

Nope, that can write that kind of BS all they like.  If your contract states that a download speed then it's a download speed that you can hold them too, and there are examples of this on the OFCOM website too!

It's not actually that easy to see the real download speed with the VF router, because even if you run a speedtest site under ideal circumstances there will be some acceptable overhead that you can't see - many third party routers give you the tools to see this - That acceptable overhead is usually less than 5%.

You can't use the sync speed to mean the download speed though, because the two are fundamentally different!  In order to achieve high-speed data transfer over the phone network, you have to employ error correction, and error over VDSL connections can entail (connection dependent) using a significant number of bits/symbols from the headline sync rate!  So the download rate is impacted by the bits/symbols used from the sync rate for error-correction rather than download speed.

View more options

ThankQ Josh for the speedtest link - very fast to provide results  8.23 downloads and 0.41-0.46 uploads which I'm reasonably content with ,(  it's when the speeds drop below 4 that it can create that  aaaarghhhh , grrrrrrhhh feeling !! ).

I did try contacting VF once over the chat line , but they wanted me to connect a PC to the router

( which was in another room)  and a little difficult to continue VF chat without wifi ! 

I should try again , but .......

View more options

Hi Josh

My connections are both ethernet and wifi. I did call Voda a few months back when my speed dropped and the advisor I had on the phone to me at the time had me changing lots of router settings and the like to see if things would improve. Personally, I think he failed to understand my issue as it isn't a connection to the router problem but a speed issue. 

I have tried both speedtest.net and the BT Openreach site, plus the Voda broadband app. I agree with one of the further replied below in as much as the "sync speed" to the router doesn't actually determine the speed you get on your devices. I contractually should be getting 25Mbps, I am now on 21.4Mbps and am concurrently receiving a 15% monthly discount. In fairness, and as much as I appreciate the discount, I'd much rather not have that applied and have my speed back up to 25Mbps again. Furthermore, if it is indeed true that Vodafone controlls the speed of the internet to my home (ie throttles the speed) then that in itself is a disgrace when you promise someone a guaranteed speed and then just switch it down a bit when it suits. 

In an age when I can take out my mobile phone, walk outside on to a 4G connection and get download speeds in excess of 50-60Mbps I find the way in which the fibre broadband infrastructure is managed in this country a complete and total shambles. It's not acceptable at all. What's worse still is that my house isn't quite 5 years old as it's a new-build property. In their infinite wisdom, BT Openreach decided to lay copper down instead of fibre optic on our estate meaning the fastest DL speeds we can get in our homes fit for the future of the world is 25Mbps! My brother-in-law lives in a terrace home a mile and a half down the road that was built in 1870'odd and he can get 68Mbps DL speeds for the exact same product, service and price. Can anyone alive tell me if they think this is fair, suitable or indeed even fit for purpose? Because personally fixed line broadband unless you have FTTP fibre down is a complete waste of time. But I digress...

My point in the grand scheme of this little rant is that I am not getting what I'm promised or expect, Voda haven't sped me back up to my guaranteed speed and as such I am sat using a forever sub-standard product that is already flawed anyway because of BT's ineptness making basic telecommunications very difficult. As such, if someone from Vodaphone BB could politely tell me whether or not I am well within my rights to discuss leaving penalty free because I am not receiving what I expect, pay for and have been promised, I would be very grateful. 

View more options

Well said !

Openreach has had monopoly for too long . Would like to see how you get on with this . 

View more options

@Pattie74 I will post on here how far I get. I'm off on holiday within a matter of days so I may not reach a resolution too quickly but I'll certainly speak with Vodafone and see what the craic is because as simple as the Vodafone broadband service is to operate and use, the disingenuious nature of this issue of mine on Voda's side is something I want answers to and a fix to.

View more options

Hey @Pattie74, it's disappointing to hear you're not getting the speeds you should be. One of our team will be happy to take a closer look into this for you. Please contact us via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or get in touch on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK.

@djandymyers thanks for confirming all the troubleshooting steps you've already been through. Once you're back from your holiday; please get in touch with our team too. You can contact us using the links above - make sure you both provide a link to this thread, along with your usernames; this will save time and we’ll be able to help you quicker.

View more options