main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Other broadband queries

Netgear Orbi connection

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
3: Seeker

I have just bought a netgear orbi rbk50 as my vodafone broadband keeps dropping out which they told me was due to the number of devices. (I have just switched from Sky which never dropped out but slowed up at times so have the new Vodafone router)

Ideally I would like to use just the modem of the vodafone router to ensure the best use of the Netgear but I'm not sure if this is too technical for me. The Vodafone chat line said all I had to do was to attach the ethernet cable to from the RBK50 router to the vodafone router and then press WPS for 3 seconds. Surely that can't be it?

I've found a link to connect my netgear as an access point only but will the vodafone router limitations not still prevail?

I just want internet that doesn't drop out (the bonus with the mesh is that my garage will also beable to get internet)!

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
16: Advanced member

I'd play with what you've got for a week or two and see how it goes, only changing to a separate modem if you find there are things that should work that don't.

It's also worth being aware that sometimes there can be secondary faults that are causing the issues.  For example, if we dropouts here, the first thing to check is that OpenReach aren't repairing the cabinet (it keeps blowing inverters).

View solution in original position

View more options
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Using the Orbi in the manner which you are using should cure any issues related specifically to WiFi - nothing else!

As for the set up:  You might need to connect directly from a PC/Laptop as a one-off, to put the Orbi into AP (Access Point) mode, but other than that the instructions you've been given are correct.

The WPS button on the router is dual function:  A quick press and the router goes into WPS mode, a longer press and it turns the WiFi off.  Hence the posts we've seen here occasionally about people trying to use the WPS function and the WiFi turning off!

View more options
Highlighted
3: Seeker

Thank you. 
So in order to stop my numerous drop outs will this work or is it better to purchase the BT modem and completely do away with the Vodafone kit?

(Also would a non technical person beable to set up with a new modem, I know I would need the username and password from Vodafone to do this?)

View more options
Highlighted

I'd play with what you've got for a week or two and see how it goes, only changing to a separate modem if you find there are things that should work that don't.

It's also worth being aware that sometimes there can be secondary faults that are causing the issues.  For example, if we dropouts here, the first thing to check is that OpenReach aren't repairing the cabinet (it keeps blowing inverters).

View solution in original position

View more options