Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New GigaFast customer question

moses89
4: Newbie

Hi all,

So I am switching over from Virgin Media next month to join Gigafast 500mb upload / download package.

I currently have a Virgin media hub as modem only mode, connected to my Asus RT AC68 router which is the wifi router,

I have a second Asus RT AC68 router on the first floor which I have connected to the the one downstairs wirelessly and is acting in "media bridge mode" so I can connect my PC via LAN to it.

I want to continue this set up if possible, I understand that I can't do it as seamlessly as I am currently because the Vodafone router is not compatible as modem only mode so I have to either

A) Replace it with a modem

or

B) replace both the Asus RT AC68 and the Vodafone router with a 2 in 1 modem/router device.

My questions are:

1) I read on the Vodafone website that VOIP services won't work, does that mean I won't be able to use skype or facetime or whatsapp video / audio calling if I change my vodafone router?

2) If I replace my router with a modem only, will I suffer with performance issues as it is aftermarket. Not like Virgin media where the router/modem is optimised and pre loaded with the ISP settings? Or is it similar to replicate?

3) Is it simpler to just change both the router and the modem to a 2 in 1, if so, which Asus one would be compatible with the gigafast connection, so that I can continue connecting my Ac 68u to it via media bridge mode?

Thanks a lot for your help / advice.

0 REPLIES 0