main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

New broadband connection not working at all

2: Seeker

Hello,

I migrated to Vodafone fibre broadband in the last few days from another provider and since then I have been unable to access the internet.

Router is working fine in itself and doing everything it needs to do from a LAN/WiFi perspective. It *was* being assigned an public IP address and I could even successfully ping the first hop onto the Vodafone network (83.146.18.222) as shown in the traceroute below:

$mtr 8.8.8.8 -r
Start: 2017-11-15T02:58:33+0000
HOST: mylaptop                    Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
  1.|-- vodafone.broadband         0.0%    10    2.4   2.5   1.6   3.4   0.5
  2.|-- 83.146.18.222              0.0%    10   18.1  17.9  17.2  18.2   0.3
  3.|-- ???                       100.0    10    0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0

The packet capture the router allows you to do showed that any requests being sent out to anywhere on the internet (except 83.146.18.222) simply disappeared with no reply.  

I have spoken on the phone to Vodafone broadband support, and while the woman I spoke to was very polite and tried to be helpful, she did not grasp my problem well enough to be able resolve the issue. She "reset" my account from Vodafone's perspective and asked me to factory reset the router and reassured me that after an hour my problem would be resolved. So I said thanks and waited. Predictably, this didn't work! A day later, I am still without broadband.

Since my account has been 'reset' by tech-support, my router doesn't even get as far as being assigned an IP address. I can see on the router DSL Status page that the link speed is good and the SNR is good, so is not a physical connection problem, it's likely to be some form on config issue on Vodafone's end.

I fear being stuck in a first-line support factory-reset loop forever. What do I have to do to get a higher level of technical support to look at this? I didn't think transferring my broadband to Vodafone would be so much hassle

Thanks,
Stephen

View more options
1 REPLY

@steve27 Hi there, we'd love to look in to this for you. I've sent you a private message on how to contact us. This is so we can locate your account securely. Joe

View more options