main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Number Porting from sky

2: Seeker

Very disappointed at the service I’ve received from Vodafone when signing up for home phone and fibre. I can’t fault the actual service, speed is good etc but when signing up I asked if I could keep my sky number and was assured that I could do as it was a simple case of taking over the active line. I then received a letter regarding the start of my service date and it had a different phone number on. I again contacted Vodafone who told me to ignore it and because it was taking over and active line, the number would remain the same. 3 days after my

service went live and no sign of the number changing, I contacted Vodafone and was told they can’t port the number because it’s a virgin phone number and not registered on BT Openreach. I queried this further and was told that sky “use virgins infrastructure so that why they can’t get the number”. I thought this was absolute nonsense so contacted sky who confirmed that an active line take over request had been carried out but the number not transferred. They also confirmed sky have nothing to do with Virgin’s infrastructure and that because BT opensreach installed the line, they have the number registered. Sky have no idea why Vodafone have not taken the number. 

So thats 3 times I’ve been lied to by Vodafone. Twice to assure me that I would keep my number and once relating to sky, which was a load of nonsense about their infrastructure. 

View more options
4 REPLIES 4
10: Established

• @Jimackem wrote:

Very disappointed at the service I’ve received from Vodafone when signing up for home phone and fibre. I can’t fault the actual service, speed is good etc but when signing up I asked if I could keep my sky number and was assured that I could do as it was a simple case of taking over the active line. I then received a letter regarding the start of my service date and it had a different phone number on. I again contacted Vodafone who told me to ignore it and because it was taking over and active line, the number would remain the same. 3 days after my

service went live and no sign of the number changing, I contacted Vodafone and was told they can’t port the number because it’s a virgin phone number and not registered on BT Openreach. I queried this further and was told that sky “use virgins infrastructure so that why they can’t get the number”. I thought this was absolute nonsense so contacted sky who confirmed that an active line take over request had been carried out but the number not transferred. They also confirmed sky have nothing to do with Virgin’s infrastructure and that because BT opensreach installed the line, they have the number registered. Sky have no idea why Vodafone have not taken the number. 

So thats 3 times I’ve been lied to by Vodafone. Twice to assure me that I would keep my number and once relating to sky, which was a load of nonsense about their infrastructure. 

Mine was also ported over wrongly from EE.  I got a Vodafone joining letter with the correct number and a date but for whatever reason, the order was cancelled.  New order placed, same letter and a new date but I didnt spot that the number had changed from the expected 'xyx151' to 'xyx159' in the second letter.  No reason given yet..

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Jimackem, sorry you've not been able to retain your number. There 'ssome instances where we can't get the number unfortunately. Was your landline number originally issued by Virgin Media?

Blair

View more options
Highlighted
2: Seeker

Not as far as I know. I’ve been with sky for 11 years and was given this number when they/bt openreach installed fibre at my new home. 

View more options

Thanks for confirming @Jimackem. So one of our team can take a closer look into why your number hasn't been ported over, I've popped you a private message over with details on how to get in touch with us directly.

View more options