main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Occasional inability to access some web sites or services, no explanation

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
3: Seeker

I'm having trouble accessing some, but not all websites, and reconnecting my DSL connection in the Router settings did not fix the problem.

For instance, 20 minutes ago I couldn't access whatsapp on my phone via WiFi nor via my computer's browser.

Now it's working but I'm not sure how or why.

Soundcloud.com is another, working now but couldn't access earlier.

I tried to call Vodafone support on 191 but the automated line told me the team for broadband and home phone ceases taking calls from 9pm.

I then tried to access the online support chat tool but it responded by saying all advisers are busy, please try the support page instead.

I'm at a loss for what to do, if I can't use my broadband to visit the necessary pages nor can I access the Vodafone support when needed?! FYI a similar issue happened on Saturday morning of this past week, but I just decided to leave my computer alone for a while and see if the issue resolved itself.

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
14: Advanced member

change the dns setting in the router to 8.8.8.8 and  8.8.4.4          or 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

The DNS and Dynamic DNS settings can be found in the following location in your router settings page: Change the dropdown menu to ‘Expert Mode’ Click on the ‘Internet’ tab Select ‘DNS & DDNS’ from the side menu

click manual 

enter 8.8.8.8 into the name dns sever 

enter 8.8.4.4 into the second name dns server 

View more options
8 REPLIES 8
14: Advanced member

change the dns setting in the router to 8.8.8.8 and  8.8.4.4          or 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

The DNS and Dynamic DNS settings can be found in the following location in your router settings page: Change the dropdown menu to ‘Expert Mode’ Click on the ‘Internet’ tab Select ‘DNS & DDNS’ from the side menu

click manual 

enter 8.8.8.8 into the name dns sever 

enter 8.8.4.4 into the second name dns server 

View more options
12: Established

as above, VF's DNS servers afre shockingly poor.  I had the misfortune of using them for a few minutes earlier - I'd guess about 50% of the lookups I did on them failed.

View more options
Moderator (Retired) Joe
Moderator (Retired)

@jasdev Hi there, did you get your issue resolved? If not, please let us know and we'll be more than happy to look in to this further for you. Joe

View more options

I have just applied the settings, and will advise if the problem occurs again.
I would like to know why the website advises that the broadband telephone support is open to 11pm on weekdays, when in my experience calling them, I was informed they operate only until 9pm?
And I was unable to access support via the online chat service - why was this, and could I instead have been placed into a queue rather than advised I would not be able to get any help whatsoever?

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Sorry for any confusion over our opening times @jasdev

Our Broadband department's open till 9pm. It was actually 11pm at one point but this was quite a while ago. 

Can you pop over a link to the page on our website that shows the wrong information ? I'd like to get this sorted.

If our Live Chat service has an exceptionally busy period, or we carrying out maintenance on the service, it may as being unavailable. for a short period. If you have access to social media, we're available on Facebook and Twitter.

Blair

View more options
1: Seeker

Thanks for the information. It really saved me.

View more options

Sorry for the very belated reply, Blair. I can't remember where I found that now but the first place I checked seems to correctly state -9pm Monday to Sunday.

I've also just found https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/Broadband-Support and bookmarked the page.
I will say that back in February, I did find it harder than I felt necessary to locate information pertaining to broadband; the website seemed oriented only towards mobiles so it was a minor frustration trying to find the appropriate information for broadband support.

View more options

Thanks for the feedback @jasdev, I'll make sure to pass your comments along; it's really important that customers can find what they're looking for quickly and easily.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to pop back to us here on the Vodafone Community, I'll be happy to help in any way I can 👍

View more options