main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Ping dropouts. Customer service useless

2: Seeker

Since I switched to Vodafone Broadband a few weeks back, I've been getting intermittent connections and customer service has been hopeless. Their last suggestion was that I have too many devices connected and I should just disconnect them. FWIW, I have 25 devices connected through either a switch or wifi (I have my own WAPs).

What I see is that the connection drops for a few seconds very frequently. Here's a ping logger snapshot from pinging Google DNS (the red bits are basically timeouts):

8.8.8.8.png

The Vodafone router claims it has maintained a connection, so basically customer services say there's nothing wrong. 

View more options
10 REPLIES 10
12: Established

I'd leave while you still have a chance.

VF have no network capacity and I suspect the only training given to technical support staff is how to lie (and even that is often poorly execute).

View more options

Hi @masaccio

Your issue does look to be dropouts on the internal network. It could be that all these connected devices are maxing out the processor of the router. Have you tested with just a couple of devices connected directly for a comparison? 

Also, do you have a router of your own you can use? We do allow third party routers. 

Blair

View more options
2: Seeker

The drop outs happen in the middle of the night as well when there is minimal activity on the internal network. Of those 25 devices, 12 are smart devices like plugs. The load on the router really should not be that high. Of the remainder, 6 are off overnight (amplifier, PlayStation, TV and laptops), 5 are asleep and at most will be pinging Apple for software update status (iPads and iPhones). The only devices reallyactive are the laptop running a ping test and my fileserver.

Were I to use my own modem, how do I get the login details?

View more options
14: Advanced member

I'm surprised that Tech support didn't tell you to try splitting the SSIDs!  I swear if someone got through to tech support and told them "my dog has fleas", the answer would be have you tried splitting the SSIDs!

It does though seem that the "excuse" about having too many devices connected to the router is becoming more prevalent, despite the CiscoADB/Huawei documentation for the router claiming that it is capable of handling 253 devices.

Maybe it's a distraction from the fact that if you look up those intermediate IP addresses you'll find that after the "dslgb.com" IP, you are next hitting an IP in the USA, before being redirected back to the UK, and then back again to the USA again!  This is all taking place within the Vodafone/C&W network, before your data even hits the internet proper!

Hold that thought.....   Just need to do some quick tests!

View more options

Okay, coming back from that thought, and after a couple of quick tests.....

Almost every DNS server we would normally use, seems to be being routed via the USA at the moment.  So web addresses (and even some IPs such as 8.8.8.8) may be being pointed at the wrong servers for localized provision!

So using the "DNS Benchmark" tool by Steve Gibson, it's possible to track down UK based DNS servers that are mapped directly to the Vodafone/C&W backbone.  So for me, changing one of my DNS pointers to 212.158.248.5 (and leaving the secondary set on Google's DNS) provides some MASSIVE response improvements, including pointing me to UK based resources rather than USA based ones!

*Very much a try at your own risk solution, there's no guarentee that server will still be there in 5 minutes, let alone for the next year, and remember that your net usage can be monitored via any DNS server that you connect to!

View more options
Highlighted

You could also trying newswww.bbc.net.uk (resolves as 212.58.249.144) to ensure it isn't some weird CDN /geolocation thing going on

C:\Users\matth>tracert 212.58.249.144

Tracing route to bbc-vip082.lbh.bbc.co.uk [212.58.249.144] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.100.254
2 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms host-212-158-250-33.dslgb.com [212.158.250.33]
3 9 ms 9 ms 8 ms 63.130.105.130
4 9 ms 15 ms 20 ms bbc-linx.pr01.thdow.bbc.co.uk [195.66.224.103]
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 14 ms 11 ms 9 ms ae1.er01.lbh.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.138]
7 19 ms 28 ms 35 ms 132.185.252.126
8 36 ms 10 ms 10 ms bbc-vip082.lbh.bbc.co.uk [212.58.249.144]

View more options

(posting as an image, as the text is blocked!)

image.png

View more options

Falling back on a tool that I've not used for years Visual Traceroute, even using that DNS that I suggested I'm seeing data ping-pong across from the USA to the UK and back!  This must be costing Vodafone a fortune!

View more options

Now I know you can't always rely on these tools, but looking at the different routing between VF Broadband and even VF mobile data is hillarious.  Either the tools are not working properly or VF has a major issue!!!!!

FYI the DNS that I mentioned, lasted a little longer than 5 mins, but not much before things went back to how they were!

View more options

@masaccio If you wanted to use your own router, you can get in touch with our Broadband Live Chat team and they'll be happy to provide you with your login details; along with a list of approved routers 👍

View more options