Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Poor Signal to 2 Devices..rest are fine

robertdon777
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I've recently changed to a Vodafone plan and router. All devices work fine in the house and Garden accept 2.

Now the previous router was fine and the 2 devices (1 phone, 1 tablet) work fine on other networks etc. But at home i need to be within 2ft away from the router to get a signal on these. All other devices in the house are fine and they have a strong signal.

The tablet is a Kindle 7" and the Phone is a RedMi 6. As mentioned both worked 100% fine on previous talk talk router.

Hope someone can help on this, Rob

19 REPLIES 19

Farai
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @robertdon777. Thank you very much for reaching out to us 👍 Based on how you've described the issue, it sounds like you may need to adjust the settings on your devices so they can work on the channels that your router is working on. As both your devices are android, you may find the information you need on this thread

All the other tablets and devices in the house are Android and work fine?

We have 2 RedMi 6's, 2 Kindles, 1 Android tablet, 1 Kindle Fire TV, 1 Macbook Pro.......All connect fine except for the 1 Redmi 6 and 1 Kindle.

All worked fine before on the TalkTalk Router

Farai
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

As the other devices on your network are working, this would point to an issue with the 2 devices you've brought to our attention @robertdon777. We'd be happy to you help you investigate anything else that could be causing the issues you've highlighted. If you'd like our help, please drop us a private message via Twitter or Facebook here and we'll help you run through some troubleshooting steps 👍

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member

@Farai wrote:

Hey @robertdon777. Thank you very much for reaching out to us 👍 Based on how you've described the issue, it sounds like you may need to adjust the settings on your devices so they can work on the channels that your router is working on. As both your devices are android, you may find the information you need on this thread

You say he may need to adjust his two android devices so they will ‘work on the channels his router is working on’ and then point him to a thread that outlines a 'back door' method of overcoming Vodafone’s removal of the user's ability to manually select router channels

Call me confused if you will about which device needs (or is even capable of) channel adjustment.  Oh, that'll be the router then but taking a very simple view…

… all bar two of his devices are working on the channels his router is broadcasting on.  Just  two devices are only connecting at close range which sort of suggests they are connecting at 5 Ghz when in range and the 2.4 Ghz channel needs changing (downwards) on the router so they can connect at a greater range.

@robertdon777
Are the two devices usually operated at some distance / some physical obstructions away from the router?  Do you have any 2.4 Ghz single band devices successfully connected?

Jayach
16: Advanced member

The previous suggestions are alluding to the fact that it is not possible to select the WiFi channel on the Vodafone router.

I personally would suggest you try splitting the WiFi frequencies so you can connect to whichever frequency is best for you.

Unfortunately I believe the kindle can only use the 2.4Ghz frequency so if that is on 12 or 13 you will have a problem.

You can see what channels are in use via Status & Support in the router.

HappyNomad

@Jayach wrote:

The previous suggestions are alluding to the fact that it is not possible to select the WiFi channel on the Vodafone router.

I personally would suggest you try splitting the WiFi frequencies so you can connect to whichever frequency is best for you.

Unfortunately I believe the kindle can only use the 2.4Ghz frequency so if that is on 12 or 13 you will have a problem.

A possible fly in the ointment there my friend is that  @robertdon777. has two each of the Kindle 7" tablets (post #1 and post #3 refers) and the RedMi 6’s (post #3) but only one of each is failing to connect unless close to the router.

My Kindle Paperwhite is certainly 2.4Ghz.

Jayach

@HappyNomad wrote:

@Jayach wrote:

A possible fly in the ointment there my friend is that  @robertdon777. has two each of the Kindle 7" tablets (post #1 and post #3 refers) and the RedMi 6’s (post #3) but only one of each is failing to connect unless close to the router.

Indeed, but if you take that at face value, it would seem to say the problem is with those individual pair of devices.

However as they worked with the previous TalkTalk router, what can the problem be?

Trying with the WiFi frequencies split may be helpful in gathering more info, as will knowing what channels the router is using.

HappyNomad

@Jayach wrote:

Indeed, but if you take that at face value, it would seem to say the problem is with those individual pair of devices.

However as they worked with the previous TalkTalk router, what can the problem be?

Trying with the WiFi frequencies split may be helpful in gathering more info, as will knowing what channels the router is using.

Based on the information available and assuming the two Kindle tablets and the two RedMi 6's are all dual band devices, I am not convinced that the two 'rogue' devices are entirely beyond suspicion… 

I agree with splitting the SSIDs though.  Once split into two distinctively renamed SSIDs, restart the two pairs of devices and connect them to the 2.4Ghz SSID.

• If none connect then set about changing  the router’s channel selection
  • if the two known to be good devices connect successfully and the 'rogue' two don't, suspect the devices (wifi chip?)
  • if all four connect but the 'rogue' devices quickly go out of range and lose connection where the other two don't then suspect the devices

Next, repeat process with 5 Ghz SSID

• if the two known to be good devices connect successfully and the 'rogue' two don't, suspect the devices (wifi chip?)
  • if all four connect but the 'rogue' devices quickly go out of range and lose connection where the other two don't then suspect the devices
  • if all four devices connect where two wouldn’t connect at 2,4Ghz still suspect the devices.
  • reconnect all other devices that lost connection when the SSIDs were changed.

It seems unlikely that one of each pair of devices have identical onboard wifi faults but equally, it seems unlikely that the router is (within each pair) handling one device differently to the other device except when at close range.

I hope the cause and a resolution are found though.

Where do I split the Wifi Signal? is this within the online App?

Thanks for your help on this

Regards

Rob