Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Poor Signal to 2 Devices..rest are fine

robertdon777
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I've recently changed to a Vodafone plan and router. All devices work fine in the house and Garden accept 2.

Now the previous router was fine and the 2 devices (1 phone, 1 tablet) work fine on other networks etc. But at home i need to be within 2ft away from the router to get a signal on these. All other devices in the house are fine and they have a strong signal.

The tablet is a Kindle 7" and the Phone is a RedMi 6. As mentioned both worked 100% fine on previous talk talk router.

Hope someone can help on this, Rob

19 REPLIES 19

@robertdon777 wrote:

Where do I split the Wifi Signal? is this within the online App?

As I use neither the Vodafone supplied router nor the App I can only give you a fairy vague guide…. 

… I have no idea about the capabilities of the App but certainly you can split the SSIDs from within the router’s user interface and to do that,

1. log into your router by opening a browser on any connected device (decent size screen recommended) and type the IP address, 192.168.1.1 into the address bar. You will find the required Admin (not WiFi) credentials on a label affixed to the base of your router.
  2. Once you have gained access there are two areas - basic and expert (or similar) - have a bit of an explore in both.  Any changes you make, deliberately or accidentally,  will only be effective if you ‘save changes’ so you are unlikely to break anything.  If you do though, a simple factory reset will take your router back to where (I think)  it is now.  
  3. You are ultimately looking for the WiFi page where you will see the control to split the SSIDs.  Set the control and the screen will change to show the 2.4 and the 5.0 Ghz bands separately aling with a name and password text box for each.  I cant remember if the router populates these but…
  4. If necessary, edit the names to something very obvious like ‘2.4_RobsWifi’ and ‘5.0_RobsWifi’ and also if necessary, set a new (secure) password - the same for both is fine.
  5. Save your changes before leaving that page and log out.  Job done

Point 4 may not be required but the aim is to see very clearly which band you are connecting to or are connected to when troubleshooting.   

Hopefully,  somebody with better knowledge of the current workings of the router and its App will  be along soon to give you a better informed walkthrough.

In the meantime, I am half tempted to power up my retired THG3000  just to have a rummage around in it but it’s firmware is currently two years out of date and half tempted is not quite enough tempted 😊

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Yes you can split the Wifi via the broadband app or the router interface. Personally I prefer to use the router interface.

When you split them the 5Ghz SSID will have 5G added to it's name i.e. vodafoneXXXXXX will become vodafone5GXXXXXX. Any devices that can't see the 5G SSID will presumably be 2.4Ghz only.

I've Split the Wifi to 2.4 and 5

Both devices that have poor signal are on 2.4 band as they cannot see the 5.

I've done hard reset on the router and both devices, and even tried the App 'Boost Device' option and this gives no better signal either.

At a loss here as to why the router is doing this, I've even ordered another second hand router just to test.

@robertdon777 wrote:

I've even ordered another second hand router just to test.

If you have ordered a second hand Vodaphone router to simply replace your supplied device then be aware that you'll need Vodafone to 'provision' the replacement to your line.  Your current router will probably then become a doorstop.

If you have ordered a second hand third party router to simply replace your supplied device:

• If it is another maJor ISP supplied device (Talk Talk, BT etc then you have no chance but otherwise:
  • you will need to obtain (and enter into it) your PPPoE username and password from Vodafone.  They may wish to know the make and model of your replacement and they have been known to supply the PPPoE details incorrectly or incomplete.  Your existing device will continue to work if you need to reconnect it.  (Vodafone support will not support any device other than a Vodafone router so even if this option gives 100% satisfaction, keep your Vodafone router). 

If you plan to simply hang a second router onto the first then this wikihow may or may not be useful… 

Good luck with it.  It’ll be interesting to know the outcome.  Are the two kindles identical to each other?  Presumably the two phones are.  Same firmware versions etc?  

Phones are identical yes, one for me one for the mrs...both have the same system updates etc, same with the kindles too as they were purchased together for the kids..

Bad news about the Vodafone router, thought it may just be plug and play....loooks like I'll be cancelling the vodafone broadband and paying them off to go with another service provider...back to TalkTalk.

Rob

Jayach

I expected the Kindles to be 2.4Ghz only, but it's strange if only one of the phones are.

On my own THG3000 the 5GHz is definitely much better than the 2.4Ghz, but fortunately I only have one laptop that is 2.4Ghz only and that seems to work O.K. in it's stationary position.

Jayach

If you do get the 2nd Vodafone router before you go back to TalkTalk and decide to try it, it may not connect to Vodafone as they apparently need to be "provisioned" on your account. Trying to get Vodafone to do that with a 2nd hand router would be a nightmare.

@robertdon777 wrote:

Phones are identical yes, one for me one for the mrs...both have the same system updates etc, same with the kindles too as they were purchased together for the kids..

Bad news about the Vodafone router, thought it may just be plug and play....loooks like I'll be cancelling the vodafone broadband and paying them off to go with another service provider...back to TalkTalk.

Rob

Before you do anything precipitous, try hooking up the two routers as described in the WikiHow just to check the wifi aspect of the router.   If successful then faulty devices are ruled out and you’ll have some ammunition to go after Vodafone for a new router. 

Better yet, if you know somebody with VF broadband, try your devices on their router.    

Although I think the supplied router is substandard, I really can’t grasp the idea of it singling out one but not the other device in each pair for special treatment… 

I've tried this split...and both connect 2.4 band.

The devices are fine on other networks (Round Family house, at Work etc) they can pick up signals at full signal from over 50ft no problem.

This router doesn't allow me to go more than 4-6ft away before they both drop signal. Again though other devices are fine around the house with good signal.

Thanks for the input!...The other one was no help.

The 2 devices that have poor signal need to be within 2 feet away, otherwise they drop signal. Router is in clear sight, but if i walk a distance...say 6ft the signal drops out and I lose all connection.

Both devices have the same issue. As mentioned other devices in the house work fine and these 2 devices also work fine on other networks.