Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Poor Wifi Speeds

Richied53
2: Seeker

Had Vodafone about a month now, getting 80Mbps at router and over Ethernet my speeds are excellent for what i require. Mainly i use the WiFi and am only getting 20-30Mbps.

If i log in via Ethernet and then do a speed test it bumps it up to 55mbps ? But always drops back down, last night i had 6mbps and spent two hours trying to communicate over Vodafone help desk which is a waste of time.

Basically my WiFi is speed is shocking, its not the location, number of devices connected etc Ive split the .4&5hz range, changed channels etc but to no avail.

Vodafone guarantee 65mbps over wifi which i rarely get and when i do its for short periods. Its the latest router? 

I am thinking of contacting Ofcom now, i have enough screenshots, livechat transcripts and evidence to prove this.

7 REPLIES 7

GrApHiXx

Hi. Not sure what region you are in? Exactly the same problem, I upgraded from SF1 to SF2 in January .. WiFi to even my phone speed test was 63.

Last few days it’s poor in the day (max 20) and 1900 hours onwards it becomes an issue between 1 and 10 mbps. Tried all the things you described, every troubleshoot possible.

vodafone are resting on the sync speed is fine so your fine .. it’s clearly not .. they have had me taking off the master socket 5C face plate and using a micro filter .. 72 hours monitoring.. I misplaced mine so ordered one off amazon to come tommorow for £3.99.

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, we're unable to guarantee a Wi-Fi connection speed as there are many things that can affect that, for example, if the router is facing a mirror or fish tank, the materials the walls in your home are made of, the thickness of the walls, the amount of devices you're trying to connect to the router at the same time etc. What we can guarantee is the connection between the green box out on the street and your router, which is the speed you were quoted and agreed to when you took out the broadband with us otherwise known as the sync speed.

Could you please also ensure the three steps below are followed:

1. Please make sure the router is in the most central location possible within the home and isn't behind or inside any furniture that can block the signal from it.
  2. Please ensure there are no baby monitors, radios, microwaves or other routers nearby as this will disrupt your signal.
  3. Ensure the router is away from any reflective surfaces such as mirrors, polished metal or fish tanks as this will bounce the signal back to your router and stop it reaching your devices.

We understand that now more than ever internet speeds may not be as fast as expected. With lots of us staying in the house at one time more people will be connected to the router at one time but there are some things we can do to speed things up.

1. Disconnect any phones, tablets, or other Wi-Fi connected devices that don't need to be on the network
  2. Watch our handy videos (below) to see what settings you can optimize, such as splitting SSID and enabling boosts through the app 
  3. Use a cable connection where possible
  4. Ensure you are connected to a master socket this will normally have an Open Reach logo, feel free to send us a picture if you're unsure

If you have tried the above steps, please get back in touch here if you still find you are getting lower than expected internet speeds through a wired connection 😊

I have been having constant drops in wifi for about 2 weeks now. Sometimes I lose wifi completely. It is causing havoc with my Sky Q and Sky mini.

Vodaphone checked my line and had me connect to the test socket for 72hrs and told me that it might be down to how many devices were connected. I’ve since had independent advice that the average wifi in uk houses can easily handle 30+ devices. My speeds seem to range from 0 to 60+ at varying times of the day. Vodaphone have not been helpful with this at all. I don’t know what to do as the connected devices are the same now as they were when the wifi was solid and reliable so I cannot understand what has changed.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@Bigrob02 wrote:

Vodaphone checked my line and had me connect to the test socket for 72hrs and told me that it might be down to how many devices were connected. 

That seems to be their new mantra.

Yep, did all that too.

they even suggested me leaving everything connected to the open test socket if it was helping !!

they’ve really not helped at all.

Today has been very poor with actual wifi outages as well as highs and very lows.

Heatherhound
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Same here - never had a problem with BT - going to switch back I think

I did - far better