main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Poor speedtest results and slow websites - Twitch.tv (original post deleted)

2: Seeker

Hi

Posting twice as my first post got deleted, (spam?) I have a problem whereby certain websites twitch.tv (buffers and skips), emedded video content on reddit imgur and other websites are very slow. I have gone through the testing the process with the complaints team who have confirmed there is a problem with the red cable and its nearing 900mb capacity. im not entirely sure what that means exactly. I can stream 4k content fine on netflix and Youtube, Wifi and ethernet wireline. Steam downloads are ok typically 9mb. However when doing speedtests i get very varied results. Vodafone London is always poor, Maindehead Xilo is very good. BT wholesale is poor. Please see below screens to show this. Any help the community can provide would be great as i dont want to cancel my contract. I've already changed to goodle DNS, turned off any content controls and firewall too. Sync speed is 80mb on router

View more options
17 REPLIES 17
15: Advanced member

Where any ISP runs a speedtest server and their tech support staff direct ALL customers who want to conduct a speed test to that one server, the results from that server is always going to be poor!

Myself, of an evening I can't even make a connection to Vodafones London speedtest server!  While we can't do that we can still happily watch a 4K programmes on two TVs and use the web for other things too.  If on the other hand I connect to a less congested speedtest server I can easily get 46-48Mbps speedtest results from our 49Mbps (Openreach cab issue) syncing connection!

When it comes to sites like twitch.tv then buffering can be caused anywhere along the route.  So your connection to twitch.tv could be flawless, but there could be issues with the provider of the stream.  You'll see this when some streams buffer and stall, while other are just fine!

So while my personal thoughts on the Vodafone router can't be repeated in polite company, it's still true that you cannot lay the blame for every internet problem on the ISP (Vodafone).

View more options

It's not a Twitch problem. I watch it pretty religiously and over the past few weeks performance has gone crap.

I can't watch 1080p60 streams at night as they just buffer constantly despite getting 70-80mbps in speed tests.

My next door neighbour who is on BT can watch it perfectly fine at the same time.

Vodafone has been the worst performing ISP I have ever had, it consistently and constantly dissapoints.

View more options
Highlighted

If you want to get an idea of speed that is directly related to streaming performance, try https://fast.com/en/gb/# which is powered by Netflix. So if there is any throttling of Netflix happening, that will be reflected in the speeds on that checker.

I've attached two screenshots, both from fast.com and both within 1 minute of each other. 1 is without a VPN, 1 is with a VPN. The one with the VPN (which means Vodafone can't see the type of traffic) is 10x the speed of the non-vpn result... make of that what you will.

I just tried that test and it said 15mbps, I tried again with free trial from SaferVPN and it shot up to 65mbps within the space of 5 mins...

It may be placebo but browing seems to be much faster as well.

View more options
3: Seeker

Just got a cheap deal on a lifetime vpn subscription and about to test to see if I can get my Netflix up from 5mbps to anything near the UHD adequate speeds previously on sky. This is shocking. 

View more options

Thanks for the suggestions, here are my results using connection as normal. WIthout real Vodafone technical support its difficult to help diagnose and test to fix these issues. As highlighted before the advice i had was to change DNS and turn off parental controls which I had already done. Its a real shame as Vodafone ran a massive ad campaign on Twitch.tv not all that long ago

View more options

I just contacted customer support and I've been refered to 2nd line.

CS said they haven't heard of Fast and I should use Speedtest.net but I explained the situation with VPN and they were having none of it.

I've been given a fault reference and an email to send speedtest to so I will see what happens.

View more options
View more options

They would say to use speedtest instead of fast because it isn't throttled! I've set up my VPN directly on my Asus router and get full speed on all services now

View more options

Looks like I'm going to have to, trying to watch Twitch at Source quality is a no go. Only 8 months till my contract is up :/

View more options
1: Seeker

I am seeing the same as you expecially with the speedtest servers you mention. It feels like the line is spluttering along.

This is only a recent thing, previously the Vodafone test servers would max out at 75MB and now it struggles past 30MB

View more options

IMG_20181125_143121.jpg

IMG_20181125_143051.jpg

Speedtest.net gives 71mbps whilst fast.com consistently goes below 5mbps.

Getting 31mbps using fastestvpn.com

Speaks for itself. A vpn is faster than our isp... 

View more options

@Blackout19 wrote:

They would say to use speedtest instead of fast because it isn't throttled! I've set up my VPN directly on my Asus router and get full speed on all services now

Which router and which vpn protocol? Is router also a modem or connected LAN out of Vodafone to wan on asus router? Thanks. 

View more options
4: Newbie

There are so many different ways here, Most Asus routers will run their own VPN server softwear, Netgear routers will run OpenVPN or you canm sideload OpenVPN onto other routers. 

For a simple person like myself who wanted to run a personal VPN server at home I found the best way was to set up a small lunux machine running a Mint distro and installing OpenVPN. This is connected to the VF rounter which has a static IP, 

This works well for me, I can connect anytime from anywhere ( ie france,) and will have the VP IP as my geopostion for BBC etc. 

View more options
Moderator (Retired) Joe
Moderator (Retired)

@Roostyla Hi there, It's strange that your speeds are good on certain connections but when on twitch.tv it's suddenly slowing down. We'd really like to look in to this for you. I've sent you a private message on how to contact us and we'll be back in touch. Joe

View more options

Hi Joe, I checked the private message but there doesnt appear to be a link? please note I have been offered a breakout of my contract and have gone with another provider to see if this fixes the issues. I have service until the 10th Decemeber with Vodafone so if you would like me to do any testing please let me know. Happy to help out espceially if it benefits other users.

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

I apologise for that @Roostyla, I've sent you another private message with details on how to get in touch.

You'll need to click on the red hyperlink 

View more options