main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Other broadband queries

Port 443 blocked?

2: Seeker

Hi,
I have a Hikvision CCTV DVR at home that I need to remotely access.
Hikvision have told me that I need to port forward ports 80, 443, 554 and 8000.

They are all working apart from port 443.

I have forwarded it in the Vodafone Huawei router but when I check it on canyouseeme.org it says:

Error: I could not see your service on XX,XXX.XXX.XXX on port (443)
Reason: Connection refused
The other ports display:
Success: I can see your service on XX.XXX.XXX.XXX on port (80)
Your ISP is not blocking port 80
Any ideas please?
Thanks for any replies.

View more options
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
13: Advanced Member

https uses port 443. Probably all banking web sites use https so if https was blocked you would not be able to get to any banking website.

View more options
Highlighted

I can access banking websites.
I called Vodafone who have provided me with a fixed IP address now and say that the post 443 is not blocked but Portchecker still says Port 443 HTTPS is closed.

View more options
Highlighted
13: Advanced Member

@rcflyers wrote:

I can access banking websites.
I called Vodafone who have provided me with a fixed IP address now and say that the post 443 is not blocked but Portchecker still says Port 443 HTTPS is closed.

Possibly because inbound access on port 443 is blocked by your equipment.

View more options
Highlighted

Ok, which equipment could be blocking it please?

View more options
Highlighted

We can take a closer look into your account and why this might be blocked for you @rcflyers  Pop us a message over on Facebook or Twitter and we'll get to the bottom of this for you! If you include your Community username and a link to your post, you won't need to repeat yourself.

View more options
Highlighted

Thanks,
I did message you on Facebook.
This is the reply I got:
"I have checked a couple of things out and it doesn't seem as though Vodafone support port 443. You can give us a call on 191 and speak to our Home Broadband tech team they could maybe give you some advise with what you can use on your security system. I'm sorry I couldn't help further"

View more options
Highlighted
16: Advanced member

At this point I think all we can really say is that it is *PROBABLY* the Vodafone modem/router that is blocking the port forwarding, it *SHOULDN'T* be their data-centre based routing hardware.  With that in mind using a third-party modem router *SHOULD* allow you to perform the port mapping.  It's tricky because any third-party device with a built-in firewall may also require you to make changes to allow "unsolicited" (password protected I presume) access from the web via those ports.  There's a lot of ifs and buts in there which make it difficult to recommend any alternative device as it could get a little expensive with no guarantees of success and leaving you with a more difficult to configure router which Vodafone support won't help you with!

View more options
Highlighted

Hey @rcflyers, What actually happens to your CCTV now you've had a Static IP address? 

View more options
Highlighted

Nothing has changed,
I can still access live video on my mobile phone but cannot see motion detection events without the port being unblocked.

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @rcflyers, If you reply to our latest message, I'm sure we'll be able to contact our Tech team on your behalf and gain more information for you. If you prefer, you can give them a call and I'm sure they'll be able to help with accessing your motion detection events.

View more options