main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Port Forwarding Out Of DHCP range?

Highlighted
3: Seeker

Hi,

Am I missing somethig obvious?  I cannot seem to open a port that is out of the 2-99 DHCP range.

Surley something as fundemnetal as this has not been overlooked?  

I have the latest Vodafone router....

Cheers.

View more options

Attachments

5 REPLIES 5
15: Advanced member

Historically at least it has been possible to port forward to any IP within the Router's range.  Commonly you'd set up the local device with a static IP between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254, good practice being to place that outside of the DHCP server controlled area. 

I know the VF router reserves a few more local ip addresses than is strictly necessary, but 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99 seems overly restricted (I'm sure that's not a standard range)!

Maybe you can give us a more comprehensive example of what you are trying to do (without exposing any sensitive data).

View more options

Hi Keith,

Correct me if I am wrong, but the maximum number of addresses this router can distribute is 243??

I have a good number devices that are static and over the 100 range so have the DHCP range set 2-99.   I would like to open a port for my NAS, XBOX, VPN etc.

I cannot open any ports outside of the DHCP range as the VF router does not allow it.  

Why would you open a port INSIDE the DHCP range, makes no sense.

Thanks.

View more options

Okay, so I've dug out the Vodafone router (mine possibly has an old firmware) and had a play around.

By default, the DHCP is set to cover from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.200, but it's perfectly happy if you increase the rand all the way up to 192.168.1.254!

I also played around setting up port forwarding, and can't replicate the error you are seeing (my older firmware maybe?).

As for why would you port forward to an address within the DHCP range?  You can still reserve a number of individual IPs within the DHCP range, so you can allocate an IPs based on a devices MAC address.  On some early home routers, the IP used had to be inside the DHCP allocated range.  I'm not saying that I personally think it's a sensible thing to do, just that it can be done!

View more options

Hi, 

Somehow I'm not making myself clear.

I am not trying to port forward inside my DHCP range of 2-99.

I am trying to port forward outside of my DHCP range with is 100+

I cannot select an IP address OUTSIDE of my DHCP range to open a port.

I have devices OUTSIDE the DHCP range of 2-99 which have static IP addresses.

View more options

Nope, I understood and using the VF router managed to port forward both to devices outside of the DHCP range as well as inside.  I fully believe you are having this problem, personally, I just can't replicate it!

The ability to extend the DHCP range and allocate fixed local IPs to the MAC addresses of the devices you have should offer a way out, even if it seems anachronistic!

View more options