main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

R218h Vodafone 4G with Vodafone PAYG SIM, port blocking (22,80)

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
2: Seeker

To help me understand what I've just bought can someone tell me whether an option exists to ping or ssh or browse into my MiFi LAN from a remote site over IPv4? All of that seems to be blocked, I have my IP address (from whatsmyip), my Raspberry Pi has a valid static IP address (192.168.0.41) and can see out to the WAN with no problem. I've set NAT port forwarding for ports 22 and 80 and hit a brick wall.

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
15: Advanced member

Have I used the device: No

I can give you a few heads up though, and I'll apologise in advance if any of this turns into an egg sucking tutorial!

If the device has the ability to port forward either manually or via UPnP then you should be able get in, just provided your target device is set up properly.

if you want to see what your external IP is then try http://www.whatsmyip.com , it cannot be 10.x.x.x because if it were (unless Vodafone is double natting the whole range of these devices) you would not even be able to browse the internet on any connected devices (the packet destination to your browser would be invalid).  Though even if you do get your external IP it's dynamic and likely to change regularly.  Regards IP6 addresses, last summer you could sometimes pick these up, just by chance, so I guess VF was trialling things, but I've not seen an IP6 address on the broadband side of things for 6 months or so - you can't generally force them.  So that leaves using a DDNS (Dynamic Domain Name System) service and addressing your device with a name, which you can set up your Raspberry Pi to manage.  It's just that it's going to mean that the MiFi is actively moving data all the time, so the data usage is likely to be horrendous - it's fair to say that the MiFi is not really designed as a gateway for an always-on server.

If you were sold this with a view to it being able to be used as such a gateway, then I'd suggest that you were mis-sold the device.

Sorry, I can't really help any further.....  Good luck and if you do get it working give us all a heads up!

View more options
7 REPLIES 7

I'm not one to just bump things like a bull in a china shop but I'm not sure where else to enquire, it's scarcely a technical support ticket question.

Can I host a web-page and ssh in remotely, or can I not?

The issue boils down to has anyone here tried doing this and remembers what happened? There's a million users, surely someone must have experience in this area.

View more options

@johnpenzance So we're able to assist you further with the technical availability for the mobile broadband product you have, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch with us.

View more options

Thank you Loz, I'll submit the technical support request as you recommend. I'm not at all sure why this is a personal account query though, it looks very much like a generic question relating to Vodafone's mobile network to me. I have a SIM, I'm wondering what ports are servicable on the DHCP-provided IPv4 address, particularly SSH and WWW. I'm sure others here must have knowledge based on their own experience. I'll submit the ticket and report back once I make progress.

View more options

So, feedback to the thread. I went down a rabbit-hole with a succession of "Social Media" support agents. I can't believe they were staff, I have no idea who they were but they were technical incompetents with no grasp of the Internet whatever. I still have no idea of how to get technical support from Vodafone but it's clearly obvious that the forum is the wrong gateway.

If anyone knows how to actually get to Vodafone technical support, could they post details here?

I've finally got an answer from a non-Vodafone source. The IPv4 address provided to my phone is in the local range 10.x.x.x and consequently can't be addressed from outside the Vodafone network so yes, the ports are indeed effectively blocked by Vodafone. If I could discover how to get an IPv6 address routed through Vodafone I'd be content, but with no technical support I have no way of asking.

I'll repeat my earlier question here though - has anyone practical experience of doing this, and if so what did they do?

View more options

Have I used the device: No

I can give you a few heads up though, and I'll apologise in advance if any of this turns into an egg sucking tutorial!

If the device has the ability to port forward either manually or via UPnP then you should be able get in, just provided your target device is set up properly.

if you want to see what your external IP is then try http://www.whatsmyip.com , it cannot be 10.x.x.x because if it were (unless Vodafone is double natting the whole range of these devices) you would not even be able to browse the internet on any connected devices (the packet destination to your browser would be invalid).  Though even if you do get your external IP it's dynamic and likely to change regularly.  Regards IP6 addresses, last summer you could sometimes pick these up, just by chance, so I guess VF was trialling things, but I've not seen an IP6 address on the broadband side of things for 6 months or so - you can't generally force them.  So that leaves using a DDNS (Dynamic Domain Name System) service and addressing your device with a name, which you can set up your Raspberry Pi to manage.  It's just that it's going to mean that the MiFi is actively moving data all the time, so the data usage is likely to be horrendous - it's fair to say that the MiFi is not really designed as a gateway for an always-on server.

If you were sold this with a view to it being able to be used as such a gateway, then I'd suggest that you were mis-sold the device.

Sorry, I can't really help any further.....  Good luck and if you do get it working give us all a heads up!

View more options

That's very kind. No, I wasn't sold it to host stuff, I'm exploring what I can do on a shoestring.

I know my LAN is configured. I can browse on the Pi to localhost. My next room can browse to 192.168.1.100 which is this Pi. I can see the NAT table in the MiFi and it's fine. Whatsmyip gives an IP address but it's not the address of my Mifi, it's way out in Vodafone's superstructure. You can see that from a simple traceroute:

john@8530p:~$ traceroute s8r.uk
traceroute to s8r.uk (188.166.13.202), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 vodafonemobile.wifi (192.168.0.1) 10.231 ms 10.200 ms 10.154 ms  <<<< that's my Mifi box!
2 * * *
3 192.168.213.21 (192.168.213.21) 56.272 ms 56.267 ms 56.223 ms
4 192.168.213.22 (192.168.213.22) 56.181 ms 56.131 ms 56.083 ms
5 * * * <<<<<<<< This is the level I thought the 10.x.x.x network was seen, I possibly dreamed it or they've turned off ping responses there
6 * * *
7 63.130.104.194 (63.130.104.194) 53.013 ms 48.081 ms 48.045 ms
8 ae13-600-xcr1.ltw.cw.net (195.2.23.77) 47.999 ms 55.388 ms 59.013 ms
9 ae27.0-xcr1.hex.cw.net (195.2.28.149) 55.036 ms 39.410 ms 41.067 ms
10 ldn-b4-link.telia.net (62.115.61.190) 41.021 ms 40.977 ms 33.825 ms
11 ldn-bb3-link.telia.net (62.115.134.134) 43.531 ms 39.869 ms 47.521 ms
12 adm-bb3-link.telia.net (62.115.113.210) 66.180 ms adm-bb3-link.telia.net (213.155.136.99) 66.058 ms adm-bb4-link.telia.net (62.115.134.26) 65.954 ms
13 adm-b1-link.telia.net (62.115.136.195) 65.945 ms 56.428 ms 56.336 ms
14 digitalocean-ic-335925-adm-b1.c.telia.net (213.248.68.169) 36.859 ms digitalocean-ic-335926-adm-b1.c.telia.net (213.248.81.75) 39.767 ms 39.579 ms
15 * * *
16 s8r.uk (188.166.13.202) 39.391 ms 39.319 ms 45.087 ms <<<<<<< and that's in Amsterdam
john@8530p:~$

So no, I can't get to the Mifi from outside Vodafone's network. The IP address in my outbound packets is somewhere they control, and their internal routing takes responses back to me as they arrive. I can initiate traffic but I can't get unsolicited external WWW or SSH requests, which is what the thread asked about.

View more options

Steps 3 & 4 in that trace show there's some weird stuff going on there as they are both ranges within the IANA Class C "internal use" block.  So, I think you are right that the device is somehow restricted!

View more options