Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Remote connection to home network

Trev_Smith
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
I am trying without any success to get a satisfactory answer to my query about why I am unable to connect remotely to devices on my home broadband network.  I have been given a "static" IP address but this doesn't appear to be a public IP address, because when I try to connect to my home network when I'm away from the house (or over the mobile network) I'm unable to reach any of my devices e.g. CCTV camera, or even reach the login page of my router.  I have proven that port forwarding is correctly set for these devices.
Does anyone know if this can be resolved and/or confirm whether my IP address is genuinely "Public" or whether Vodafone is actually using something like CGNAT and therefore what I actually have is Vodafone internal (private) IP address?
I have tried using the chat support service but the agents I have chatted with clearly do not understand the nature of my problem and have only suggested things such as "reset your router" or "there may be a problem with your camera", try a different DNS setting, etc.  I have asked repeatedly to be connected to UK technical support but without any success.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

The router login page is not available remotely!

Your home network should be available from the internet, even if you use a DDNS rather than a static IP.

The problem may be the Vodafone home modem+router, it seems to work for some people and not for others when attempting remote access.

If you use your own modem and router (after getting your username & password from VF), then you should be able to access security cameras & private servers with no issues.

*The VF router cannot be dumbed down into working as just a modem, attempting this will have it "double NAT" the connection, meaning there is almost no chance you could reliable access to your LAN from outside!

Hi Keith.

Many thanks for your reply.

I wasn't sure if the admin interface was accessible remotely but some ISP/Router combos allow it (user enable/disable).

Thanks for you advice about trying a third part router. I'll see if I can try one out.

I was querying the bit about genuine public ip addresses as I'd read in this forum that they may be private NAT'd addresses as they have a shortage of IP4 addresses? It seems people have had problems with this for game boxes, etc?  Would be glad of your thoughts on this?

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Trev_Smith wrote:

I was querying the bit about genuine public ip addresses as I'd read in this forum that they may be private NAT'd addresses as they have a shortage of IP4 addresses?

If they were doing that surely the router would show that it had a private address instead of public.

See here: What is the difference between a public and private IP address? – Keenetic

Vodafone have been reusing I.P address from their Indian operations, which has been causing some confusion..

Anonymous
Not applicable

The general issue that we see in regards to games consoles is when they are used with the mobile network based broadband packages that VF sells, as these are subject to CGNAT (Carrier Grade Network Address Translation).  I guess VF feel they can get away with this on mobile-based broadband packages, but it'd probably lead to riots if they tried it with their VDSL and FTTP products!

*There are other games console related issues that come up, most of which are down to the super picky networking on the consoles themselves though!

Hi Keith.

Thanks for this informative reply.  I hadn't fully realised that the CGNAT issue was more related to the mobile broadband offerings.

I'd like to try a third party router, and in the past have used Netgear.  Do you know of a reasonably priced modem/router/wifi that will work with VF broadband?

Also, how easy/hard is it to obtain username/password from VF?

Best regards.

Trevor.

Errr

Allow me to jump in......

Ask and Ye shall receive, 08080 0345 15

It is in the format.....

dsl0123456789 @ broadband  . vodafone . co . uk

parsewurd

probably.

It occurred to me that it might be worth trying the new Vodafone "WiFi Hub" as I still have the older "Broadband Router".  I did try a chat support session yesterday to ask if I could have one but a got nowhere after speaking with no less than four agents and given answers ranging from "You can't view your cctv cameras remotely" to "why have you enable port forwarding", "your camera isn't connected to your wifi, is that right?"

Does anyone know how I go about getting the newer router please?

Trevor.

Jayach

If you are out of contract, taking out a new 2 year contract should get you one.