main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Replace the standard Router (900 meg)

2: Seeker

New 900 meg internet went in today. Great!

Question though, my house is a complex network, i use Asus routers in an AI Mesh. I have previously used Virgin and used their superhub in Modem only mode,. 

The new kit comes with a Vodafone router which ideally i would like to not use at all and just plug the ethernet cable directly in to my RT-AC88U which is my main router in the AI mesh. I have tried to just plug it in but it says it needs a username and a password. Is it possible or do we need to use the Voda router? if it isnt possible is it possible to just put the voda router in to modem only mode?

View more options
7 REPLIES 7

Hey @steve1978, that's right, we'll need to provide you with these details before you can connect your own router. If you've not already contacted us about this, pop us a private message through one of our social channels with your full name, landline/account number, a link to your post and your Community user name and we'll be able to get these for you 😊

View more options
16: Advanced member

With Gigafast you'll also need to express the VLAN ID 911 (for most areas) on the WAN port - which can be done using the manual settings on the IPTV tab of the ASUS menus.

*We should start seeing the ability to express a VLAN ID in the WAN settings sometime soon - it did briefly appear in a Merlin firmware beta a while back and other brand routers running DumaOS already have it.

View more options

Great thanks. I got my details today from customer services so will give this a go. I do have the merlin firmware already so that’s good to see. 

My lan ID is 101 so must be area specific. 

View more options
16: Advanced member

Unless things have changed, the VLAN ID of 101 is usually used for third party VDSL connections over the OpenReach network and not Vodafone Gigafast.  While I'd try it, I strongly suspect you've been given the wrong info there, which also makes the username and password suspect too!

View more options

Oh joy. I plan on trying it on Friday as I’m off work and have a bit of time to have a fiddle.  Will let you know

View more options
3: Seeker

I tried to get my details from customer service and they tell me that I cannot use 3rd party router on Gigafast.  Based on this thread it is clearly not the case.  Can someone from Vodafone clarify this position.

View more options

Hi @Daugaming This isn't something we usually offer our Gigafast customers, but if you pop us a message through one of our social channels, we'll be happy to take a closer look into this for you.

View more options