main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Replacement of VF router

Highlighted
3: Seeker

A simple question, as VF support is ******. Do I need a VDSL modem?

I have CityFibre and a WAN (RJ45) cable from the ONT (Optical network terminator).

I have been trying to use a Ubiquiti USG to replace my VF router. Some have said to keep the VF router and connect the USG befind the VF router. To get around the double NATing and other issues some have said to setup different sub-nets, turn of VF's DNS etc. This has brought nothing but pain.  

Some chatter says the USG does not contain a VDSL modem. If this is the case can anyone recommened a cheap bridge VDSL modem that supports PPPOE from my USG so I can bin the VF router?

View more options
4 REPLIES 4
17: Community Champion

Hi @draevans 

If I'm honest Broadband isn't exactly my forte but this link may help..

If not try a search on the forum.

HOW-TO-Use-a-third-party-router-on-Vodafone-VDSL. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
4: Newbie

As you have City Fibre FTTP there is no need for a VDSL/VDSL2/G.Fast modem as that is only for a hybrid fibre & copper service like FTTC and G.Fast.

All you need to do is make sure you have a WAN port on the back of the other router and it can handle the required FTTP symmetrical bandwidth. CityFibre is upto 1GB/s up and down depending on your package.

The Vodafone THG3000 router is designed to handle that FTTP bandwidth and can cater for bandwidth upto 2gb/s over the LAN ports and around 700mb/s on 5Ghz and 288mb/s 2.4Ghz. Always split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID's and make sure you always use different wifi channels than your neighbours to get the full wifi bandwidth.

One reason why people prefer to use their own retail router is because ISP's routers can be fairly locked down, only giving the most required options needed. Vodafone's routers are not too restricted, as they do the job required. That probably is the reason why you actually want to use another router because of those restrictions.

If it is a case of performance of your Vodafone router, that could be down to you still using the default settings on the router. As good practice always reconfigure an ISP router completely, so you get the best performance out of it, especially always reconfigure the wifi settings like I said above.

One of the new things you can do as long as you have the Vodafone Broadband app on a tablet or mobile device. Is when using either the Vodafone THG3000 and Huawei routers, is to use Beamforming as long as your wireless device is compatible with it. What Beamforming is, a way of directly sending the wireless signal to a device and it then follows that wireless device around and it sends a stronger wireless signal to that device.

Another function with these Vodafone routers is being able to boost the performance of both wireless and LAN connected devices using the broadband app to get better performance.

As with all routers there are pros and cons. But whatever you decide to do just make sure your other router can handle the CityFibre bandwidth.

View more options
3: Seeker

Tahnk you, but the suggestions have not helped. Still a USg that refuses to connect. All ideas gratefullt accepted before it is returned as a bag of sapnners.

View more options
4: Newbie

Short answer now, had long detailed reply but failed & dissapeared, par for the course VF I suppose..

Check user ID, mine was business & needed businessbroadband.vodaphone.co.uk .org told wrong.

Also phone support (chat can't do it)  & get them to reset.. something, if you use VF modem previously, does not like switching.

View more options