main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Requirements for USB devices plugged into the router

2: Seeker

Edit: Dammit, this probably belongs in the Broadband forum...

I just bought a 4TB Seagate external hard drive, intending to plug it into the vodafone router, but the router page just gives the message "the inserted USB device is not supported" with no further information. The vodafone website just says that devices need to be FAT32 formatted (seriously!? what decade is this!) So I reformatted it to FAT32 but got the same error. Thinking it might be too big for the poor router, I split it into two partitions of just under 2TB each, but again nothing. Finally I wondered if maybe it only supported single partitions, so I deleted one, but again with the same result. Online support suggested such helpful things as reading the info leaflet to find the USB port, resetting the firewall, and they also copy and pasted part of the vodafone.co.uk support page I had found the FAT32 requirement on

I'm going to plug it into something else for now, but can anyone work out what the actual limitation is here? Being 4TB the drive is obviously using GPT which could be it. I also noticed that my disk formatter set the partition type to Linux even while formatting it as FAT32 - that could have been an issue. But now I have reformatted to ext4 and I can't be bothered going back unless someone has a proper idea how to get it working. I've tried googling the error message, various things connected to usb devices etc, both with the vodafone router and huawei since I believe they're the manufacturer.

View more options
8 REPLIES 8

There's more information about how to set up file sharing through our router online @Fish-Face. If this is the page you referred to in your post (I suspect it is), please get in touch with us via the information in the private message I've sent you and we'll be happy to offer further support.

View more options

Have just noticed this post. I attempted to achieve network drive by plugging in 2 tb external hard drive ntfs format into USB socket of vodafone connect (Huawei HHG2500) router. Whilst it works in the sense that I can read files on network drive, the drives light flashes continuously as it is continuously accessed, so clearly not a satisfactory solution. I can suggest two modem-routers that do work.: TP_Link_TD_W9970 or Technicolor_TG589vac. Hope that is of interest. Best regards.

View more options
14: Advanced member

if you get a non vodafone router and use that you can do what you wanted , the issues you have the usb on the vodafone router will only work with a dongle 

View more options

>if you get a non vodafone router and use that you can do what you wanted

I don’t think that is entirely fair. Certain modem-routers supplied by sky and talktalk don’t even have a USB port. The Technicolor TG588v V2 whislt having a usb port does not seem to allow you to set up nas drive. Whilst I can vouch for and Technicolor_TG589vac and TP_Link_TD_W9970 and one would presume tp-links more advanced recent modem-routers, I guess it is hard to say how many models support nas drive with usb port effectively. If vodafone’s HHG2500 short comings are down to firmware code, let’s hope they can put this right on what may be an otherwise decent modem-router.

View more options
15: Advanced member

The only "properly" supported devices are VFs own mobile internet dongles, everything else is "unsupported".

You can get a small drive to function, if it's formatted to FAT32, but if you use it for anything (even the twonky server) the modem "appears" to over heat (so much so that the glue on the port covers on the rear can loosen and fall off), and eventually the router will reboot.  If left plugged in the router will go into a boot loops which as it constantly disconnects and reconnects to the cabinet, will cause the cabinet line management to intervene and drop your sync speed!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Vodafones Huawei HHG2500 modem/router!

View more options
1: Seeker

You do wonder how they get away with shipping such useless routers. I cannot disable remote access and prevent their router being used for. DNS attacks. I did get a usb pen drive working but it was unusable - not fast enough to play MP3 music. If you use your own router they will not support you. Suggest you buy a dedicated Nas drive or maybe a Raspberry PI.

View more options
15: Advanced member

If you continue to use the VF router then even a dedicated NAS drive may fail to work as you'd like, as the router seems a little flakey on the protocols and standards that it implements - from memory I think the dlna services/implementation/handling is old/incomplete.  Hence my own Draytek Vigor130 + Asus RT-AC86U & RT-AC68U (meshed) + Rock 64 (Pi-alike) setup.

View more options
4: Newbie

Just seen this thread, and I'm surprised at the remark about the USB working with the VF mobile internet dongles - I was told (assuming I understood correctly) that this was not something I could have done as a temporary measure to mitigate a dead line.

Unless this was the short version of telling me I would have needed another router to be sent, reprogrammed to enable the device to work, due to not being a user-controllable plug and play thing as I would have expected.

( presumably this is in the manual that I should have RTF'd. )

Unless there was some other reason e.g. something indended to clarify that I wouldn't be on a static IP but I don't think we were on that level of detail and simply following my remark about a non-wired fix for a wired network and connection.

View more options