main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Returning a Router ?

3: Seeker

I've just received the same email and, as with everyone else, haven't received a return bag. 

Via the My Vodafone app I chatted about getting this resolved and aksed,  "can I be sent a return bag or recycle the router myself, as it's not worth the postage" chat agent went to check with her manager who confirmed I can dispose of it myself and there is no need to return it . Very happy I can now get rid of something I'm not using .

View more options
Highlighted
2: Seeker

I too have been asked to send it back or face the charge.

But I've had an email saying they need it within 16days.. But where's the bag for it??

View more options

I'm sorry there's been a delay with your returns pack being received . If it's convenient, you can return your router to any Vodafone store and we'll be able to dispose of this for you. If you can’t visit your local store, get in touch by following the link in my private message and we'll get a replacement pack out to you.

View more options
4: Newbie

What form of receipt will be issued by a Vodafone store to acknowledge return?

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

There wouldn't be any form of receipt @rbz5416, they would scan the router into the system and note your account to show it has been received.

If you'd prefer us to send you a returns pack, please get in touch via the Private Message sent by Mark previously.

View more options

I am joining the frustated gang. Wanted to post for the record.   Didn't realize there is this forum with this particular issue ongoing since 2018!!

Today received email with threat to £72 if I don't return their Router, in origingal box and all cables etc!  in 'A LABELLED BAG' THAT THEY NEVER SENT! 

Online chat 'All agents busy'. 

C'mon Voda.... sort things out. 

View more options

@MarkF wrote:

There wouldn't be any form of receipt 

Given that this is Vodafone, what could possibly go wrong?

My advice to others is to take a copy of this page as evidence that Vodafone couldn' t organise the proverbial social gathering in a brewey & then cancel your direct debit. That way you can't be have this charge stolen from you. Then pay your final bill by BACS & ignore any threats that may follow. That's what I did.

View more options
Hello,

If you check your records I contacted your team on Thursday 4th April to request for a returns bag for my router. I was assured that the bag was ordered and I should have received it. Now I have checked the Vodafone online forums and have found that this returns process that you have arranged is terrible and no one has had a positive experience. When speaking to your representative she assured me that I will receive the bag but I did state if I do not receive the bag that I could not be liable for this £72 charge due to not returning the router due to your procedures. I have absolutely no issues to go into one of your stores to deal with this but I understand that this is not the process you have set in place but I will quite gladly go in to voice my opinions along with the router to see what they can do. And yes I did call 08080 034 515.
View more options

Same issue here

cancelled and moved to Plusnet (who have been fab by the way)

1st email- need to return router- otherwise £72 charge- promised bag on way

no bag recieved- second email recieved- contacted live chat- promised bag on the way

no bag recieved- recieved another email giving me 16 days to return router otherwise be charged.

Contacted customer support- initially told- that at somepoint in the next 5 days someone will come to the house and collect it- seemed suprised that I wasnt ok to sit at home for the next 5 days waiting for them to collect

they have no said they will either post a bag (oh dear) or send me an email (in the next 5 days) that I have to take to the post office with the router (double oh dear)

so- given that the bag supply seems unlikely to happen- has anyone actually been charged for not returning the router....and does anyone know if this charge was in the terms and conditions at the time- I dont recall it.

to be fair- i would quite like to return it so it can be recycled but am not going to be charged £72 because vodafone cant do what they say the will- makes me remember why I am left.

View more options

Hey @ncsherpa@LingSene and @1jim I'm really sorry to hear you've had such trouble returning your routers and apologise for any inconvenience this has caused. You can pop these into your local Vodafone store.

Alternatively, I've sent you all a private message over with details on how to get in touch; so I can chase up the returns package for you. 

View more options

@TJ thankyou, I have done as suggested and completed the form and submitted this.

Will be interested in your views to see how you interpret the terms and conditions of my account that makes no mention of this charge 

View more options

Just tell me to go to a Vodafone store so I can get rid of this thing. I was initially happy with the service but have completely been annoyed into hating Vodafone.

View more options
15: Advanced member

You may be better off not cancelling the Direct Debit, but if they do attempt to take any money from you take them through the small claims court!

EVEN IF YOU DO NOT RETURN THE ROUTER THEY DO NOT HAVE A LEG TO STAND ON!

ADMINS - You really need to READ THE CUSTOMER JOINING LETTER and the "Your Price Plan for Vodafone Home Broadband and Phone".

At the point of joining Vodafone there is a one-off "fee" for the router.  At the bottom of page one of the joining letter:

"And just to let you know, we're pleased to offer your router at a discounted price because you're taking our broadband service.

It is NOT stated this is a delivery fee, IT IS STATED THAT THIS IS A FEE FOR THE ROUTER!  There would be no legal argument against this, especially as customers ARE NEVER ASKED TO ENTER INTO A RENTAL AGREEMENT for the router.

Joining letter, page 5 "One off charges" - there is a one-off charge for the router.  Subject to other conditions being met this would suggest that the title of the router passes to the customer!

Joining letter, page 6 "Equipment" - If the Vodafone Home Broadband and Phone services are terminated (by you or us) prior to activation or during the cooling off period or due to any unavailability issue, you must return the broadband equipment which you have received.

So if as a customer, you are beyond the "cooling off period" and there is no issue with Vodafone's "ability" to supply you with a service, you as a customer are under no obligation to return the router!

Joining letter, page 7 "Leaving Us/Suspending The Service:

Refers the customer to Vodafone's Returns Policy which says absolutely nothing about the need to return a router, but could be read (due to it's poor wording) that if you were to return the router you would be subject to a REFUND!

Same Section "Return of Equipment":  Again only sets out that charges will be incurred if the service is cancelled prior to activation or within the cooling off period, and the customer fails to return the router!

Your Price Plan for Vodafone Home Broadband and Phone

View more options

I'm sorry for the problems you're having returning your router @LingSene, this can be dropped off at your local Vodafone store and we'll be able to dispose of this for you. 

View more options

Hey just had the lovely opportunity to visit one of your stores and was told that I had to provide all the microfilters telephone cables and box for the router. Now because my telephone socket already has a broaband socket I had no reason to use these microfilters and I had to use my own telephone cable due to the distance I needed. So I never had the need for the cables or the microfilters. So after speaking to your store rep I was advised that I may have to pay a free for the missing items but was also advised they would take any microfilter or cable. Now if that is the policy you have then this experience has gone from great to absolute rubbish. If you can clarify this I would greatly appreciate it.

View more options

@LingSene wrote:

Hey just had the lovely opportunity to visit one of your stores and was told that I had to provide all the microfilters telephone cables and box for the router. Now because my telephone socket already has a broaband socket I had no reason to use these microfilters and I had to use my own telephone cable due to the distance I needed. So I never had the need for the cables or the microfilters. So after speaking to your store rep I was advised that I may have to pay a free for the missing items but was also advised they would take any microfilter or cable. Now if that is the policy you have then this experience has gone from great to absolute rubbish. If you can clarify this I would greatly appreciate it.

I would message one of the mods direct or follow the link they suggested- this was my reply - its saved in email inbox, printed and ready for any issues :-) DD has been cancelled so lets see what happens next. I am also like you- i didnt keep the box or additional gubbins and suspect not many people do! I still wonder if Vodafone are chancing their arm as no one has commented on the links to terms and conditions to show where this charge is enforaceble!

I understand how frustrating this must be for you; the email you’ve received is an automatic mailer due to your broadband connection terminating.

As your account has closed down and your router is showing as terminated, I can confirm that you’ll not be charged the £72 router return fee, and if you do, we’d waive this for you.

If you’ve got a Vodafone store local to you please pop the router in to them, alternatively please dispose of this responsibly at your nearest recycling centre.

View more options

Hi Mark, I was advised to contact you as I have just left of my router to the Vodafone store in Ballymena Northern Ireland. Can you advise if there would be a charge or not?

View more options

If you've returned your router to one of our stores @LingSene, you won't receive a charge for this.

View more options

@Mark wrote:

If you've returned your router to one of our stores @LingSene, you won't receive a charge for this.

@Mark I think @LingSene was asking because the store said they would be charged as they had not left the cables etc.

Additionally, no one seems keen to comment on the legality of these charges given you have been given links where there is no mention of this charge in the terms and conditions....@Mark please do comment on this

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

The cables won’t matter @1jim it would still be marked as being returned.

The information's in section 2.3 of our Broadband and Home Phone Ts&Cs, and on page 8 of our current Price Guide. https://vodafone.uk/2GAhn7h https://vodafone.uk/2URxfuy

I hope this helps to clarify things. Blair

View more options