Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Router Frustrations

MJC_OK
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi all

i joined VF last week and have had pretty terrible service since then.

issues I'm facing 

- internet drop outs

- WiFi drop outs 

- devices losing their connection to the router and getting "incorrect password" error when trying to rejoin (using the saved password), when the router is restarted (power off/on) everything reconnects perfectly

- my mesh router (Deco M4) loses internet connection via the Ethernet cable - once again a power off/on fixes 

what I've done so far

- open reach have been out to check the line and have made some changes the  DML (hopes that the correct accronym)

- factory reset the router twice, problems persist

- restarted the router every few hours because it's become unusable 

VF have finally agreed to send out a new router on threat of me cancelling the contract, but I wondered if anyone had seen these issues before, in case the new one has them? I'm particularly confused by the incorrect password issue, because it's using saved passwords - this isn't a case of me mistyping 

17 REPLIES 17

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @MJC_OK we're more than happy to run some tests to figure out what could be causing this. Please reach out to us using this  page. 

Thanks Adam

The new router has arrived, but I've stumbled across this thread and I suspect I'll be in the same position as the op.

Vodafone technical staff have run tests, the line seems ok but the router definitely isn't - it appears there's an issue with Apple devices (which we mostly use) though have had the same disconnects with HP laptops running Win 7 and 10 respectively, but less frequently - hopefully the new router won't cause drop outs on my mesh router, if it doesn't then I can just use that.

BTW is there anything extra I need to be doing to use my own router? I've simply plugged it in to the LAN port and it's working most of the time ...

Dabbs
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

In order to use your own router, It'll need to be on the Openreach approved list. You'll also need to log in to the router using your DSL username and password. We'll be able to give you these over our social media channel on the link that Adam provided, if your router is Openreach approved. 

If you drop us over a message, we can look into this and also check out your connection.

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

@MJC_OK wrote:

BTW is there anything extra I need to be doing to use my own router? I've simply plugged it in to the LAN port and it's working most of the time ...

Using your Vodafone Modem/Router as a modem with another router attached is unlikely to provide a long term reliable solution as the Vodafone device is not capable of being switched into modem only mode.  I think you are seeing that now with your 'it's working most of the time ' comment.

Presumably you'll have switched off WiFi and DCHP on the vodafone router, leaving those functions to your mesh router but you will still be open to double NAT and if you have any devices with static IP addresses connected by wire to your Vodafone device (a network printer say) then you'll likely have two discrete networks that won't communicate with each other.

If you want to use your mesh router as your primary device then you will need

• an approved stand-alone VDSL2 modem - choice is limited or
  • any approved VDSL2 modem/router that can be switched into modem only mode - rules out all ISP devices I think
  • your PPPoE username and password from Vodafone.  Try and get the PPPoE details in an email,  text or chat transcript as frequently, it is transcribed wrongly or handed out incompletely - particularly the username element which should be in the format: 'dslxxxxxxxxx (at) broadband (dot) vodafone (dot) co (dot) uk' with x being a number 0-9.

When I got my username it was via VF chat and the question of which modem/router was to be used didn't arise.  (I believe that technically it is only the modem or modem element of any modem router that needs to be approved for use by Open Reach - the approval is based on Modem Conformance Testing or MCT).  The list of approved devices is rather out of date too - 2018 ish?

Thanks for the responses

recieved a new router from Vodafone and it's been working well for a few days now.

as mentioned above, yes, I've disabled WiFi and DHCP and that seems to be doing the job with just up

I won't take any more drastic actions unless I start having problems again 

What is the current model of Router VF is supplying? I have the Huawei one (black with rounded edges) but I see online a much squarer one. If there has been one released after the Huawei one, I'd like it, as my internal wifi signal is shocking (was formerly with Sky and their hub was better).

I'm using the sleek looking black rectangle

88298775-8693-459E-A336-24916254295C.jpeg

The WiFi signal seems decent tbf, much better than the VM one I had previously - granted I'm not using it though

Anonymous
Not applicable

The current router is the VOX3 or THG3000 there is also a g.fast version the THG3000G for those in areas where this service is available.  It's not clear who the manufacturer of the new modem/router is, as some reports state Technicolor and others state Thompson.  However, looking through these boards it still seems that WiFi range is an issue, and it seems that phone support is now blaming people having too many devices connected (again this should be nonesense unless they really messed up in the design of the thing)!

*At one point another modem/router from TP-Link looked like it was in the pipeline, which was interesting because it featured Mesh capabilities.  Sadly that device seems to have been shelved!

I wonder if it's better than my current Hauwei router? Yes, shame no meshing capability, something else I miss from Sky...