cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Router Model THG3000 uses unsafe SMB1 Protocol.

wdrs
3: Seeker

The much lauded new Router (Model THG3000) has 2 USB ports.  One on the back and the other on the side.  The back USB port uses the unsafe SMB1 Protocol, so when I tried to connect I got the following message: "You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack.  Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid =852747"

I have not tried the side port but expect the same result.

When I contacted Vodafone Support I was advised that the USB ports are not supported, which begs the question "Why are two USB ports included in the Hub?"

David

5 REPLIES 5

wdrs

Update:  Same problem with USB port on side.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is an awkward one.  If you trust the router, your local users, and you are not exposing the shares to the internet, then despite the security flaws in SMB1 it should be safe to use locally and you can enable its use in Win10.

As for the new router, it appears to be a pretty much "off the shelf" design from Technicolor.  Now I've no idea why there are unsupported features, I'd hope that it's not due to stupid cost cutting such as hampered the old VOX2.5 (HHG2500).

It is disappointing though that even with a new router if you anything more than just a basic setup you'll still have to get your own kit!

kerregan
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Ridiculous to say the USB ports are not supported when there is a whole section in the hub configuration dedicated to the USB ports. USB storage can be enabled for both SMB and SLNA. However, unlike the older hub, there is no access control (user id/password) on SMB, and no ftp support.

It would appear from the About tab that the version of Samba being used in the new VF router is version 3.0.37-5. According to Wikipedia, this was released on 1 October 2009 and shipped on a voluntary basis. The entire 3.0.x release in fact officially reached end-of-life on 5 August 2009. The 3.0.x release only supported SMB1. Full support for SMB2 only came in version 3.6.

Only Vodafone can tell us why they chose to use a piece of software that has been obsolete for the last 10 years in their latest router.

Wow is all I can say to that!

Voda is also using this router for business customers as that is what I have. I will be changing to a Draytek modem and 1 of my Cisco switches and routers for a number of reasons so it won't effect me but others small companies will be using it. Given the USB ports support hard drives or memory sticks i can see a lot of small businesses could use to share files or store backups. Its unacceptable to supply out of date software to home users but to businesses as well is taking the pee.