Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Router/Modem combination

WiFi_curious
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I would welcome some advice from you lovely people. I am not in anyway tech minded so my major concern is to create a simple and stable wifi network that reaches further than mine does right now. I also want to make sure that the speeds I am achieving are as efficient as possible. That I don't lose speed 'in my network' - seeing as I have so little to begin with.

My problem:

I have slow speeds (from speed tests) into the house but this might change in the future. Our WiFi is patchy around the house and doesn't reach to the garden where I am building a garden office. We have about 15 devises running off the WiFi and this will go up to about 20-25 in the next couple of months. The WiFi often drops out, freezes or I am told during a client meeting that my internet connection is 'unstable'. I want to get better, faster, stronger and more stable signal in the house and garden.

My solution so far:

I plan to install a ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 Mesh.

My question:

I think that using my Vodafone router as a modem only is problematic but I suspect that (bearing in mind how limited my requirements are) the problems might not be much of a problem to me. What do other people think, should I get a new modem and if I do is the Vigor 130 a decent choice?

Thanks for any thoughts...

2 REPLIES 2

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

@WiFi_curious wrote:

Hi,

I would welcome some advice from you lovely people. I am not in anyway tech minded so my major concern is to create a simple and stable wifi network that reaches further than mine does right now. I also want to make sure that the speeds I am achieving are as efficient as possible. That I don't lose speed 'in my network' - seeing as I have so little to begin with.

My problem:

I have slow speeds (from speed tests) into the house but this might change in the future. Our WiFi is patchy around the house and doesn't reach to the garden where I am building a garden office. We have about 15 devises running off the WiFi and this will go up to about 20-25 in the next couple of months. The WiFi often drops out, freezes or I am told during a client meeting that my internet connection is 'unstable'. I want to get better, faster, stronger and more stable signal in the house and garden.

My solution so far:

I plan to install a ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 Mesh.

My question:

I think that using my Vodafone router as a modem only is problematic but I suspect that (bearing in mind how limited my requirements are) the problems might not be much of a problem to me. What do other people think, should I get a new modem and if I do is the Vigor 130 a decent choice?

Thanks for any thoughts...

I use a Vigor 130 - with a mesh system and a Pi Hole.   Uptime has been solid, range is good (mesh primary router and three nodes) throughout the house and front and back gardens.  Speed and connectivity are both good for Netflix and Amazon video and music streaming etc all over the house.  Not cheap but it hasn’t give me a moment of downtime or connectivity problems  - I won't be going back to the VF modem/router anytime soon.

Thank you @HappyNomad  I have set up using the VF modem. So far so good but it is early days...