Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Router remote access incorrect password

G_Ninja
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Accessing my router from the internet (either via DDNS or directly using IP) brings up the login page, but it always tells me that my password is wrong, The password I'm using is the same one that allows me in when I am connected locally, so what is wrong? Is there a separate password for remote access, or is there something else that is preventing access (and the error message is wrong)

14 REPLIES 14

Hahah! Yes! Welcome to modern customer services 😉 If you ask a question like "can I please have my DSL credentials so I can use another modem" they are very good, but asking something which is not on the script will result in much frustration, resetting and even new router being sent haha!

The Vodafone router does not support remote login - and by the way, the admin screens do not play nicely with some browsers either, providing random results from attempting to change settings!

I would suggest getting a more standard modem/router - especially something like Draytek/Billion which support VPN remote login (as well as many other very useful features). VF will provide DSL credentials on a chat session

Yes, I've been through the new router loop too! I said several times during the most recent chat "you don't understand what I'm asking, do you"...  Actually, virtually every non-standard online tech support chat I've tried come to think of it.

Anyway, many thanks for your reply, I'd actually just started the ball rolling with a Draytek router.  I'm impressed with their website and the support information they provide, especially the option to test out the web interface.

To be fair to most customer support, they read a script and answer questions/troubleshoot using something like a wizard. Unless the answer has been programmed for them, they won't know (and often won't know that they don't know) . 

Agreed, fair comment. It must work for most situations or it wouldn't have become the de facto approach, and it's not the fault of the guys following the script.

I'm far from an expert user, but I do wish there was some way of triaging enquiries from customers who are at least a little technically astute.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I was about to say the same, and I have just tried it and as expected there is no response from the external internet but when I try whilst connected to the router then it behaves as you say so I think you are trying whilst still connected.