Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Router remote access incorrect password

G_Ninja
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Accessing my router from the internet (either via DDNS or directly using IP) brings up the login page, but it always tells me that my password is wrong, The password I'm using is the same one that allows me in when I am connected locally, so what is wrong? Is there a separate password for remote access, or is there something else that is preventing access (and the error message is wrong)

14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

It shouldn't even bring up that!  Generally, ISP-provided routers will not show their login pages to the internet - those pages are normally only accessible from within your local network - for good security reasons!

It is possible for ISPs to log into their equipment remotely, but it's usually a little more complex than just a webpage login!

Which ISP's are you referring to @KeithAlger? I've never experienced/heard of any ISP's/routers that don't allow this. This is my first time with Vodafone UK, but I've remotely logged into VF routers in many other countries as well as many other ISP routers throughout the UK (my own as well as friends/families who I support)

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@G_Ninja wrote:

Which ISP's are you referring to @KeithAlger? I've never experienced/heard of any ISP's/routers that don't allow this.

I have never heard of any who do by default.

"By default" is another question. I don't know of any who enable by default either, but this router from Vodafone UK is the only one that doesn't appear to allow it at all

Jayach

I would think it's been removed from any that did have it as it is such a security risk.

I have just come from Sky and their router did not allow it either. (as far as I know. I never actually tried it.)

I just moved from Sky myself and my router did (not by default, but you could set it up with allowable IP ranges and choose the port, so it was abit more secure and wasn't so obvious on a port scan - screenshot attached FYI)... I could also provide a long list of others in UK and further afield that I log into (usually to help parents with parental controls, password setting etc), but anyway, if this VF UK router doesn't allow it, then it doesn't allow it, so no worries...

Jayach

Just ran up my Sky SR101 and you are absolutely right. I never noticed that, probably because Sky just worked and I never had to make many adjustments. My apologies.

Yeah, no worries 😊 - I wasn't exaggerating when I say this is literally the only router I have found on any ISP (including VF, albeit different router models), anywhere in the world which doesn't seem to have the remote access option... thought I may be missing something (hence the reason for starting this thread). Most routers (including all of Sky's past and present) dedicate a whole config page to setting up remote access and it is a very handy feature

I know this post is a few months old now but I have exactly the same problem and I'd like a definitive answer to the remote access question to be able to move forward.

Basically, have we confirmed it is impossible to set up remote access using the Vodafone router? I'm prepared to buy a new (Openreach-approved) router to be able to achieve what I want, but I'd obviously prefer not to have to spend the money if I don't have to.

I've just had a breathtakingly frustrating online chat with an operator who finally admitted they weren't trained in DDNS after trying to get me to reset my wi- fi password and use the mobile app, so I'm feeling a bit stuck.