main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Router wired and wifi speeds

Highlighted
4: Newbie

Hello,

I switched from BT to Vodafone and received the new Vodafone router which is supposed to work with Vodafone Gigafast.

I have Ethernet Cat 6 cables in my house.

I used to reach speeds close to 1Gb/s (around 800Mbps) between my PC and my server (synology NAS), or reading from Wifi Sweetspots app on my iPad Pro whern connected to my Devolo 1200Wifi access point when I had my BT router, but since I have the Vodafone router I cannot get more than 300Mbps speed.

I was told te router is wifi AC and could achieve 1600Mbps.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you

View more options
8 REPLIES 8

Hey @weilbe, thanks for getting in touch. Nothing should stop you from reaching top speeds with your Gigafast broadband. Are the speeds you're getting just over Wi-Fi, or on a wired connection too? Have you ran speed tests for both? Pop back and let me know, we'd love to help get you up to speed! 

View more options
16: Advanced member

I'd just query a couple of things:

Are you connecting from the router to the AP via your CAT 6 cables or are you using the powerline ability - in which case you'd need to use the Devolo app to look at the powerline link speed.

The other thing would be, do you have the SSID of the router and the AP set differently - if not you may be connected to the router, when you think you are connected to the router and vice-versa.  

*I am a fan of the WiFi Sweetspots app though!

View more options

Thank you for the suggestions. 

The AP is connected via Cat6 cable (I do not have other Devolo devices, I am not using the powerless feature).

i am looking correctly at the speed of the AP as I can see the MAC address on Sweetspots. I have also changed the SSID to be double sure. 

Thank you

View more options

Thank you. My speeds are capped at c 300Mbps on both the wired connection or via wifi.

To be clear: I do not have gigafast broadband and I am not talking about the Internet speed (ie external) but about the internal speed (ie between my PC and my server, or the speed measured with the Wifi SweetSpots app for the router's wifi or my other access point - running the app from a capable iPad Pro, with which I used to measure speeds of c. 800Mbps when I was with BT).

So my question is whether the Vodafone router is capping the internal speed at c. 300Mpbs. The router model is the latest one, ie THG3000. Should not be the case if it is a AC1600 type router.

Thank you

View more options
16: Advanced member

I was just making sure that you weren't falling into a couple of common traps.

While I've not seen the new router, it's starting to sound as though it's crippled in a manner to the older VOX 2.5 (hhg2500) - why we can only guess!   Is there any ability in the router or the AP to see the WiFi sync rates?

View more options

Thank you.

The issue is not with the external speed (ie speed between my router and the telephone exchange which is normal/as expected of c. 65Mpbs when I access the Internet) but the speed between my devices within my house.

The router has gigabit ethernet so I shoud be able to have speeds of c. 1Gbps when my PC accesses my server/NAS but the router seems to cap it at 300Mpbs.

Vodafone should be able to answer this. 

I have had the same problem with both router GGH2500 and the new THG3000.

I never had such problems with the BT router BT Smart Hub (= Home Hub 6).

Vodafone pls answer. I hope you understand the question.

Thank you

View more options

Hi @tj ,

Not sure whether you saw my reponse:

Thank you.

The issue is not with the external speed (ie speed between my router and the telephone exchange which is normal/as expected of c. 65Mpbs when I access the Internet) but the speed between my devices within my house.

The router has gigabit ethernet so I shoud be able to have speeds of c. 1Gbps when my PC accesses my server/NAS but the router seems to cap it at 300Mpbs.

Vodafone should be able to answer this. 

I have had the same problem with both router GGH2500 and the new THG3000.

I never had such problems with the BT router BT Smart Hub (= Home Hub 6).

Vodafone pls answer. I hope you understand the question.

Thank you

View more options

Thanks for confirming that @weilbe. I've asked one of our Broadband Tech team and they've advised that the router shouldn't be capping you in any way. 

They've said without checking your network and devices, they'd be unable to say exactly what's going on. So one of our team can take a closer look into this for you, please get in touch via Facebook, or contact us on Twitter. You can find more information on doing this here.

Please provide a link to this thread, along with your username; so you won't have to explain yourself again. 

View more options