main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Running a website from Home

Highlighted
4: Newbie

Do vodafone allow you to run a webserver from home to run a website?

Ive checked the T&C but cant find anything

View more options
4 REPLIES 4
15: Advanced member

It's so hard to find as to be unenforceable, but have you checked the "fair use policy" ?

There are a number of far-reaching get out clauses in there, but as I read it, you can (and there are plenty on here that do) run a personal web server for your own use.  The key clause is probably;
2.2 You have an obligation to use our services for private, personal, and legitimate consumer purpos...
Failure to adhere to the policy may mean a loss of, or restriction to your Service

Tips:

My own little server is set up such that it is not accessible via the web unless I unlock it remotely before even entering username and password, and it then auto-locks itself after a period of inactivity.  So under normal conditions, you can't even tell it's there let alone get to the log-in screen!  Generally, there's a bit too much paranoia regards people being able to access systems armed with just an IP address, but as soon as you start running a server, if it's visible you will eventually have someone attempt to hack it! *I've had more than one third-party hosted web-servers hacked over the years - they are definitely targets!

View more options

Thanks,

What about running a website from it?

View more options
15: Advanced member

Easy as (Raspberry) Pi.  My own little RPi compatible server runs a web server, streams media, and works as an always-on back-up server - almost maintenance free!  Odd as it may seem, but if you are running an old Win PC as a web server then you would probably have to pay more attention to maintenance than with an SBC such as the Pi!

*Be a little careful what you do as some uses could bring you into the scope of GDPR

View more options

Thanks.

I currently run a forum on a host but the renewal is £80 so was wondering if I could run it from home. Not technically cause I know how to do it, but I dont want to end up getting shut down for breaking Vodafone t&c

View more options