Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung smart TV and problems with new vodafone router

timinwinchester
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I signed up to vodafone and was connected a couple of weeks ago. All fine, download speeds about 32 meg at best, more typically 15 during busy times. 

but the moment I connected, my smart TV (Samsung UE32H5500AKXXU) stopped working properly. It's connected by wireless but the apps stopped working completely, TV worked ok. I hard reset it, using some hidden menu, reinstalled latest firmware, updated apps. Now iplayer will occasionally work, but only after hanging for long time on inital load. ITV player won't open at all. All4 will open sometimes, but takes about 4 minutes to load a programme, although it will run the ads ok.

they all work fine on the laptop, so it does look as though it is a problem specifically between the TV and the router. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member

@timinwinchester wrote:

I signed up to vodafone and was connected a couple of weeks ago. All fine, download speeds about 32 meg at best, more typically 15 during busy times. 

but the moment I connected, my smart TV (Samsung UE32H5500AKXXU) stopped working properly. It's connected by wireless but the apps stopped working completely, TV worked ok. I hard reset it, using some hidden menu, reinstalled latest firmware, updated apps. Now iplayer will occasionally work, but only after hanging for long time on inital load. ITV player won't open at all. All4 will open sometimes, but takes about 4 minutes to load a programme, although it will run the ads ok.

they all work fine on the laptop, so it does look as though it is a problem specifically between the TV and the router. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Thanks

Some models of Samsung TVs have a known fault with their wifi adaptors.  Mine included.  I have a wired connection because of the TV's dodgy wifi but that said...

The Vodafone router also has known wifi issues and drops connections randomly and frequently.  Have you yet done the basic Router WiFi set-up stuff?  

• [Expert Mode]/[[Wi-Fi] split the SSIDs
  • [Expert Mode]/[[Wi-Fi]/[Settings] select channel 1, 6 or 11 (20 MHz) for the 2.4 GHz band
  • [Expert Mode]/[[Wi-Fi] /[Settings] select Channel 36 (20/40/80 MHz) for the 5 GHz band

While you are there you should probably go into [Expert Mode]/[Internet] and change your DNS from automatic to manual and enter something like 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 (Cloudflare DNS) or 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS).  Other DNSs are available.

When I selected the above WiFi settings, my wifi network became much more stable (but not perfect by any means). 

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

HappyNomad

@timinwinchester wrote:

Thanks

Some models of Samsung TVs have a known fault with their wifi adaptors.  Mine included.  I have a wired connection because of the TV's dodgy wifi but that said...

The Vodafone router also has known wifi issues and drops connections randomly and frequently.  Have you yet done the basic Router WiFi set-up stuff?  

• [Expert Mode]/[[Wi-Fi]/[Settings] select channel 1, 6 or 11 (20 MHz) for the 2.4 GHz band
  • [Expert Mode]/[[Wi-Fi] /[Settings] select Channel 36 (20/40/80 MHz) for the 5 GHz band

While you are there you should probably go into [Expert Mode]/[Internet] and change your DNS from automatic to manual and enter something like 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 (Cloudflare DNS) or 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS).  Other DNSs are available.

When I selected the above WiFi settings, my wifi network became much more stable (but not perfect by any means). 

Thanks HappyNomad. No, I haven't done any of that setup stuff.  I'll take a look at that 

But based on your comment re a wired set up, would I just need to run a LAN cable from the back of the vodafone router into the back of the Samsung TV? Might help me just get a more reliable connection. Would the Samsung just notice it was now wired connection, or would I have to somehow tell it?

Appreciate the help, thanks

@HappyNomad wrote:

@timinwinchester wrote:

Thanks

@timinwinchester wrote:

Thanks HappyNomad. No, I haven't done any of that setup stuff.  I'll take a look at that 

But based on your comment re a wired set up, would I just need to run a LAN cable from the back of the vodafone router into the back of the Samsung TV? Might help me just get a more reliable connection. Would the Samsung just notice it was now wired connection, or would I have to somehow tell it?

It is a simple as connecting a LAN cable between the two.  I think the TV notices it has a wired connection and pops up an on-screen confirmation as soon as the connection is established. I don't remember having to faff about with the wired settings.  A quick check in your TV's network status page should confirm that it has an IP address.   Or just try iPlayer.

My experience is that the wired connections are reliable compared to wifi.

@HappyNomad wrote:

@timinwinchester wrote:

It is a simple as connecting a LAN cable between the two.  I think the TV notices it has a wired connection and pops up an on-screen confirmation as soon as the connection is established. I don't remember having to faff about with the wired settings.  A quick check in your TV's network status page should confirm that it has an IP address.   Or just try iPlayer.

My experience is that the wired connections are reliable compared to wifi.

All sorted now with the ethernet cable, thanks HappyNomad. Can't believe I hadn't thought of that sooner. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction here. Much appreciated. 

@timinwinchester wrote:

All sorted now with the ethernet cable, thanks HappyNomad. Can't believe I hadn't thought of that sooner. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction here. Much appreciated. 

Happy to have helped and glad you've had a positive outcome.

Hi,  I have a similar problem.  Samsung Smart TV, keeps dropping its internet connection.  Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it hardly works at all.  It is more likely when using IPlayer and less likely with Netflix.  I've not yet tried a cable all the way from the router, but have tried connecting using a Netgear WiFi booster.  The latter both by connecting via WiFi to the booster and using a cable to the booster. 

My Wife's laptop also drops out on occasions (running @ 2.4 rather than 5).

We had no problems with EE's router on any devices, this has all happened since we switched to Vodafone.

A cable from the router to the TV is just about feasible, but a logistics nightmare.

I've not yet tried the proposed settings.... but are the above issues likely to be helped by making these changes?

Mike 

Mike, I'm not techy enough to know the answer to your question, but all I can tell you is that they didn't work for me but that it's all been faultless since I connected it with an ethernet cable. 

HappyNomad

@Miketke wrote:

Hi,  I have a similar problem.  Samsung Smart TV, keeps dropping its internet connection.  Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it hardly works at all.  It is more likely when using IPlayer and less likely with Netflix.  I've not yet tried a cable all the way from the router, but have tried connecting using a Netgear WiFi booster.  The latter both by connecting via WiFi to the booster and using a cable to the booster. 

My Wife's laptop also drops out on occasions (running @ 2.4 rather than 5).

We had no problems with EE's router on any devices, this has all happened since we switched to Vodafone.

A cable from the router to the TV is just about feasible, but a logistics nightmare.

I've not yet tried the proposed settings.... but are the above issues likely to be helped by making these changes?

Mike 

I no longer use the supplied Vodafone THG3000 modem/router (still with Vodafone and no complaints) but my main Samsung TV is still connected directly to my current router via ethernet cable.  

An ethernet connection is always going to be faster and more stable than a wifi connection (notwithstanding a defective router of course)..

If you haven’t done so already, you might try selecting channels 1, 6 or 11 on the 2.4GHz band which are generally less crowded.  Channel selection may have to be via the app if that is still a feature as I believe the facility to change channels was removed from the router UI.

Thanks!  I take your point!. 🙂

It rather looks like going [back] to cable - clearly would be better.

Before WiFi (a long while ago) I wired up several rooms in the house, although not the lounge.....

I'll have to see how much wire I've left from the reel!

🙂