main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Setup with Personal Firewall

Highlighted
3: Seeker

I wish to have the following setup - a Vodafone broadband device that passes through to my firewall the external IP address that the Vodafone device receives.  My firewall will manage security and DHCP.  I tried to set this up, bu tthe firewall gets the IP address 0.0.0.0.  Perhaps in Expert Mode there is a specific setting I have to enable, but I cannot see a way to set this up.  I talked to Vodafone who suggested I get a static IP address, but I don't see how that is going to help as I just need the device to pass the IP address for the Vodafone device to the firewall.  Has anyone set this up?  Is there something specific I should be asking them to do?  And do I really need them to setup a static IP address as I didn't need it when setting thing up from previous ISPs?  Thank you.

View more options
12 REPLIES 12
4: Newbie

The Vodafone router is a pure router - it does not provide direct access to the WAN side. You need to get yourself a VDSL modem or a router that offers bridge mode. For a static IP address, just contact customer support. You will also need to contact support to get hold of your PPPoE username and password. From my experience, you will need to plug in the Vodafone router at least once to get your broadband activated. It did not activate when I used my previous ISP's router even with the correct username/password entered.

View more options
14: Advanced member

As Alex882 explained what you are wanting to do is not really possible with the VF modem/router, and to be frank, you'll be hard pushed speaking to any of the techs that have any idea what you are even on about - they'll probably just tell you to split the SSIDs.

It might be interesting to tell us what hardware or level of firewall, you are looking at.  Most aftermarket DSL-modem routers wil have some level of firewall built in, but if I were not already invested in the equipment I have I'd probably be looking at the Ubiquiti range.

*Untill my own DSL issues are sorted I'm having to use the VF modem/router (appauling device) with my own router only set up as an access point.  Not a happy bunny as the VF device seems completely incapable of hiding certain ports!  **Not a happy bunny because of the poor implimentation of DHCP, DNS, UPnP, DLNA, and QOS too on the VF device.

View more options

Vodafone has provided me with a static IP address, which does very little for me.  I have a Fortinet Fortigate unit I want to use to manage DDNS, DCHP, content filtering, VPN tunneling, SSL VPN and port forwarding so I can access devices inside the property.  Maybe I should have asked this before I selected a provider, however I thought they would all support this option.  I will connect with them to get the PPPoe username/password and keep my fingers tightly crossed.  Thank you.

View more options
14: Advanced member

Completely unfamiliar with that equipment.  I presume if used in a normal fashion you can specify any (multiple) port as a gateway/wan interface.  If that's the case, you'll save yourself a lot of hassle by using your VF username and password with a DSL modem such as the Huawei HG612 V3B that you can pick up of ebay for as little as £5.  If you try and run the firewall along with the VF router you'll be at your wits end in no time!

*Other modems are available such as the Draytek Vigor130 which is pricier but gets better speeds on "impacted" lines, and the Netgear DM200 which for a Netgear product can be a pain to set up!

View more options

I have tried the VF router and I am losing more hair than it is worth at this point, so I will take your suggestion and give another product a shot.  The Fortinet Fortigate firewall is fairly easy to setup and I am still not getting an IP address from the VF device.  I have recieved the static IP, username and password but still no luck, so I am thinking the VF device is now my issue.  

View more options

@mdewaele Hi there, we'd be more than happy to give you your username and password if you get a new router. Just drop us a message and we'll get this to you. Joe

View more options

@Joe,

Thank you.  I was able to chat online and get that information without an incident, just waiting for a new router to arrive so I can plug in the information and hopefully good times from there!

View more options

I recieved and installed the Draytek Vigor 130 without too many issues.  I have it setup in Bridge mode under the MPoA / Static Dynamic IP section.  The question I now have is how can I setup the unit so any requests to the external static IP are forwarded to my Fortigate firewall?  For example, I have a camera that I wish to access from outside the house.  I have the internal IP setup and the forwarding rules on the firewall, but when I hit the external IP address for Vodafone (which is a static address) it doesn't appear to be hitting the firewall.  So I am assuming it is getting blocked on the Draytek Vigor 130.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

View more options

The Draytek Vigor 130 should be "transparent", your firewall should see your external IP address. Did you make any changes to the Draytek's configuration at all? You shouldn't need to if it is a UK model. I would recommend resetting the Draytek back to factory defaults and trying again without touching the configuration. The pppoe username/password is entered on the firewall, not on the modem. If this is what you did before, then I would suggest trying a different external port and see if that reaches your firewall.

View more options

I have it setup in Bridge mode under the MPoA / Static Dynamic IP section and disabled the PPPOE/PPOA settings.  I can see the external IP address on the third party firewall.  I just cannot hit the firewall or the camera from outside the network.  Since I see nothing in the logs on the firewall, I am assuming the traffic is getting stopped at the Draytek.  It is a UK Draytek running the latest firmware.  I will see if I can setup the Draytek using the PPPOE settings instead of the MPoA settings as that is how the unit came out of the box.  Thank you.

View more options

@Alex882 - Thank you.  That worked and I can now access the firewall.  Sometimes it pays to keep it as it came in the box - minus changing the admin password!

View more options

Happy to help. Thinking about your previous setup, I think it could be a VLAN tagging issue (i.e. missing from the firewall).

View more options