Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Splitting 2.4 and 5

Chinkamon
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have some smart devices that run on 2.4 but because the channels are combined they can't find the WiFi at all, spoke to WiFi experts who flat out told me you cannot split them, don't use another router as it'll stop working, yet my father has WiFi with another company and he has split 2.4 and 5, is it true if I get another router instead of Vodafone it will stop working?

23 REPLIES 23

Jayach
16: Advanced member

If they are 2.4Ghz only, it really won't make any difference if the bands are split or not, they will not be aware of the 5Ghz band at all.

The reason smart devices cause problems is because the app to control them is probably running on a phone connected to 5Ghz, and it needs to be on the same band as the smart devices. You probably need to force the phone onto the 2.4Ghz band whilst you run the setup. One way would be to turn the 5Ghz in the router off whilst you run the setup, and turn it back on afterwards. (unfortunately Vodafone seem to have removed this option from Pro customers)

Jayach

@Chinkamon wrote:

is it true if I get another router instead of Vodafone it will stop working?

Definitely not, but if you are a Pro customer you will loose some facilities. Are you on Pro?

Jayach

Another problem could be (especially if they are "grey market" devices) that they are unable to use channels 12&13 on the 2.4Ghz. You can see what channel your router is using under Status & Support.

Jayach_0-1653753464333.png

Pro???

Ummmm!?!?

I guess not? Just super fast 2?

Jayach

Then you are not on Pro. Pro gives you Super WiFi boosters (their name not mine) and 4G backup.

That means the WiFi settings in the router won't be so tied down, and you could use your own router without loss of the Pro extras..

Jayach

Also, as you are not Pro, you should still have the option to split the Wi-Fi,

Jayach_0-1653775834540.png

or in the app.

Screenshot_2022-05-29-00-49-31-625_eu.reply.cordless.uk.jpg

The images aren't showing yet.

The app is next to useless, can't do anything in it or with it.

( One thing bugs me is it'll tell me someone's connected to my WiFi when I'm not home, yet I click the notification or open the app an it says it can't connect to the app as I'm not on the WiFi 🤷🏻‍♂️)

I've seen older posts on here showing log into the router, go into the router settings and click separate, but they don't exist anymore 

Screenshot_20220528_161723_eu.reply.cordless.uk.jpg

this was all I was getting from Vodafone.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @Chinkamon - I understand how frustrating this must be getting. Are you able to see @Jayach screenshots now to show how to split SSID via our Broadband GUI?

Hi,

Theyve only appeared as said waiting moderation....

I have this ....

Screenshot_20220529_134355_eu.reply.cordless.uk.jpg

The option is removed 

Screenshot_20220529_134340_eu.reply.cordless.uk.jpg

If I log into the router it says my setting are controlled in the super WiFi panel on my app, but on the super WiFi bit it just says about installing WiFi boosters... Which I don't have ?