Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Splitting 2.4 and 5

Chinkamon
3: Seeker

I have some smart devices that run on 2.4 but because the channels are combined they can't find the WiFi at all, spoke to WiFi experts who flat out told me you cannot split them, don't use another router as it'll stop working, yet my father has WiFi with another company and he has split 2.4 and 5, is it true if I get another router instead of Vodafone it will stop working?

23 REPLIES 23

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Chinkamon wrote:

If I log into the router it says my setting are controlled in the super WiFi panel on my app, but on the super WiFi bit it just says about installing WiFi boosters... Which I don't have ?

If you have that message, your account has been setup as Pro. When a Vodafone router connects up it is sent a configuration file that changes some of the settings. (it seems to be based on the router, probably it's serial number)

Pro users get a different one to the rest of us. If you factory reset the router, but don't connect it to the phone socket you will see the default settings. As soon as you connect it it will get it's configuration file and some settings will disappear.

I would try factory resetting it, and then see if it gets the same changes to the options. If it does, try live chat and say you are getting the wrong setup. If they don't understand just tell them about having the Wi-Fi booster tile in the app, when you don't have boosters. That may trigger a response. (it will be interesting to know what it is)

Live chat: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

Oooooo that's interesting ok excellent I shall try that when the kids are in bed as I'll raise all kinds of tantrums if I reset it all now haha 

Just an update.

So spoke to Vodafone who tried to keep selling me Vodafone pro 🤷🏻‍♂️didn't understand what I was saying about being sent the pro settings not the normal ones, eventually she obviously got bored an told me I need to uninstall the Vodafone broadband app an reinstall it an said would wait while I did it. I said but I'm chatting to you through the app, won't I lose you? No it's ok I'll still be here...... Yup lost her! 

So after a lot of messing around I found my son's old fire tablet runs on 2.4, so installed Google play on there, added the smart app to it and managed to add the smart devices that way! 

Why these things are so hard I'll never understand 

Jayach

Yes, at the moment getting hold of an old 2.4 Ghz device (phone or tablet) that can run the configuration utility is the easiest way to go. (and there must be loads of old Android phones about)

If you are getting the wrong configuration on your router, try using live chat, I've found them more technical than on the phone. https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

This is annoying I had the same problem, what I did is I changed my routers wifi SSID to be something different, then set a wifi hot spot up on an iphone with the same SSID and WPA key as my network used to be and enabled the enhanced compatability option (basically uses 2.4), I then used that to configure my smart devices using another phone, once done turned off the hotspot and renamed my main SSID back and then everything connected.

The fault isnt really the vodafone kit or the phones etc, its the apps that detect your using 5Ghz and just assume it not a 2.4 compatabile network. Some newer smart apps dont have this check and they work just fine.

"Yes, at the moment getting hold of an old 2.4 Ghz device (phone or tablet) that can run the configuration utility is the easiest way to go. (and there must be loads of old Android phones about)".

Thanks for this advice. I have similar problem trying to configure an IoT 2.4ghz smart roller blind motor.  Stupid thing is that it is my 2nd purchase. My first motor was a doddle to configure when I was on our old BT router.  Bah, so much much for progress.

Well, I'm having to use my own router as Vfe have not managed to send me a router at all. I had no issues with a TP link mesh system connecting to the ONT or my Pfsense router. 

Sounds a bit like the 'pro' profile criples the router a bit, if I am stuck with the wrong profile (assuming I ever get sent a router) then I will just give up. Don't really have any smart devices anyway other than central heating that connects by eth cable.

CrimsonLiar

Throwing a bigger spanner into the works (deliberately), I recently set up some BG Electrical smart sockets, which caused me more than an hour of pain getting them to work with a BT SmartHub (this is not my own home setup).  It seemed that some clever person decided that these sockets being from BG Electrical should only be able to be set up using 802.11b or 802.11g WiFi (according to documentation)!  Okay, once installed and flashed they work with 802.11n but in what world did some person think that setup restriction was okay.

It takes a lot to get me to swear, but...

Jayach

@CrimsonLiar wrote:

It seemed that some clever person decided that these sockets being from BG Electrical should only be able to be set up using 802.11b or 802.11g WiFi (according to documentation)! 

Perhaps the documentation was out of date.

Most 2.4Ghz implementation is now compatible with b/g/n, however Vodafone gives the option to switch n off, goodness knows why.

Jayach_0-1659710944519.png

Pisicuta

Hi, I've got the same problem. I spoke to the bot to get to a person and with Pro you can't split the 2.4 and 5 chaannels. It was suggested I try third party equipment, but all I really need is my phone to be on the same (2.4) wifi network as my smart devices instead of always on 5 mhz. 

Having said that, my wireless printer is giving me grief too since I converted from my previous ISP.
I also fell foul of the booster issue in the app tile. The booster was still in the box that had all the bits in. I might just plug it in to see what happens in the app. I don't need it, my house is so small.