Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Superfast 100 - existing wifi router

gregd72002
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi there,

We are considering moving away from Virgin to Vodafone - Superfast 100. However we would like to keep our existing wifi setup we have at home. At the moment we use Virgin hub in modem mode, connected to our primary wifi router over ethernet cable. So there are a few questions we are  looking to get answer to before we commit to the change.

What "wifi box" should we expect from Vodafone with the above package, and does it support modem mode?

If not, what options do we have to keep our wifi router?

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

The modem/router supplied by Vodafone in the UK is the THG3000, and it lacks the ability to run in a modem only mode!  It's pretty much the bog standard modern ISP router - If you are not doing anything special, it'll do for most (but not all) users.  

What you need to do in order to keep your existing router depends on how you are getting SuperFast 100 delivered.  If it's FTTC (G.Fast) then you would need a G.Fast modem such as the Vigor 166-k (k is for UK version - it must be the k version).  If your service is to be provided through FTTP, then you can plug your router directly into the ONT and use your service username and password along with the VLAN ID 911, or if you get a (G)PON you just need the service username and password!

*How you express the VLAN ID depends on the router you have - so if you go for this let us know!

I guess finally it has to be said:  If Vodafone makes a mess of the order, don't even attempt to save it, VFs back end systems are a mess, and it's probably better to call it a day than to have them try to fix the order!

This is a very information replay. Thanks a lot @KeithAlger.

Sounds like there is an option for us to keep everything as is. Also, I assume Vodafone is ok to provide us with username and password if needed?

Any way to find out which of the two (FTTC or FTTP) it is in our case? I think the router we have got can do FTTP but not FTTC, so there is cost implication if it is FTTC. I'm also dreading speaking to the customer help line as they have usually no idea what all of these mean!

I guess the only option we've got is to order, wait and see?

Jayach
16: Advanced member

The real question is has your street/area been optical fibre cabled by Openreach or CityFibre? It is has that is most likely the method for delivering your service.(i.e. it will be FTTP)

I'm not sure how many Vodafone users are on FTTC(G,Fast)'

If you check here you can see if your cabinet has G.Fast, if it doesn't you won't get that.

EDIT: I thought you could, but I seem to be wrong

BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

2nd EDIT: If G.Fast is available to you the above checker should show it. If not available it will not mention it.

I have to say I didn't think Vodafone offered G.Fast at all.

Last year CityFibre dig up my street to wire it up. I even got a leaflet with the Vodafone/CityFibre broadband details. Hence now considering Vodafone broadband. So I guess this means we might get FTTP.

However, why would BT say "FTTP is not available"?

Screenshot 2021-06-13 at 22.39.27.png

Jayach

@gregd72002 wrote:

Last year CityFibre dig up my street to wire it up. I even got a leaflet with the Vodafone/CityFibre broadband details. Hence now considering Vodafone broadband. So I guess this means we might get FTTP.

However, why would BT say "FTTP is not available"?

Probably because that is a BT/Openreach website, it won't show CityFibre.

The CityFibre checker is here: https://www.cityfibre.com/residential/

I'm sure you will be FTTP.