Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Superfast 2

Sophie123abc
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Been so messed around with everything so far. Bought the superfast 2 broadband, got told an engineer would come and no-one turned up. Called up and got told to set it up myself and that an engineer was never supposed to come despite multiple emails telling me otherwise. Tried setting it up myself and got confused by the router box manual telling me that I would need an engineer to connect it via the fibre connection box (which I presume is the set up for fibre). Decided to call up again and he told me how to set it up via the phone socket. He kept ignoring my questions about if that's the right set up for fibre and when he couldnt make it work, booked us in for an engineer. This engineer also never turned up. I just don't know what to do anymore. Engineers won't turn up and no-one will answer my questions about whether it's the phone socket or fibre connection box that is the right way to connect the router. Don't want to set it up the phone socket way of that means I'm not getting the fibre that I've paid for!

12 REPLIES 12

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Superfast 2 is FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) so there is no fibre in the home. What do you mean by the fibre connection box and the telephone socket?

Pictures would help, but add them as attachments or they will take ages to be moderated.

Not too sure how to add photos as attachments I'm afraid

20201130_234046.jpg

20201130_234053.jpg

That's what it says on the box. Got told to do it way A but I think it should be way B or you wouldn't get fibre (could be wrong)

Jayach

It may take some time before we can see your photos (Yes you can see them because you are logged in as you, but we can't).

You add attachments by using the

"Drag and drop here or  browse files to attach
Maximum size: 9 MB • Maximum attachments allowed: 3"
below the text input box. ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Edit: I'm beginning to wonder if you have got Gigafast not Superfast as that is the only way you would have a fibre box. Superfast is presented to you as copper wire. (Fibre to the cabinet, copper the rest of the way)

Think I've attached the photos. This is the box. Not sure which way to set it up, A or B. I've got superfast 2 (very certain on that). The only reason I'm confused is because I thought superfast 2 was fibre broadband and that you couldn't get fibre through a telephone line (set up A). Maybe I've just mixed things up. If it is set up A, why did they book me an engineer to come out twice (that didnt turn up lol)

Jayach

A couple of questions, whilst we wait for the photos.

Has the "fibre box" been installed recently, and has it got fibre going to it?

Have you got a working landline telephone?

Nothings been installed. Been told an engineer was coming out but neither times turned up. Got the router through the post and dont use a landline

Jayach

Yes if you have superfast it is definitely method A. It's called fibre because part of the route to your property has been replaced by fibre, but the last bit from the cabinet (street box) to your home is still copper wire.

It should really be called FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) to differentiate it from full fibre which is FTTP (fibre to the property)

I had really wanted pictures of your "fibre box" and telephone connection to try to understand just what you have.

Superfast (FTTC) does not have a engineer visit the property as there is no need, the engineer does all that is required at the exchange and/or cabinet.

Edit: Who were you with, and what kind of broadband did you have before?

Thanks for the help everyone. I think this whole situation might just be me making the mistake of thinking that superfast was full fibre and being messed around with on the phone to vodaphone. I used to have full fibre with virgin media before this. My telephone wire plug thing is a BT one as far I know

Jayach

@Sophie123abc wrote:

I used to have full fibre with virgin media before this.

As far as I know Virgin do not do full fibre, it's coaxial cable to the house.