Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Switching to Vodafone - third party equipment

AsheasheAshe
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I’m switching to Vodafone on Friday 

we currently use post office broadband who sent us a router but on the day of switchover, the old BT equipment we had still worked so rather than set everything up from new again we just kept on using that 

will this be the same for Vodafone or will we neee to configure it somehow? 

the BT equipment is bt hub 6 

for WiFi we use tp-link s4 mesh system so not bothered if the Vodafone WiFi is crap, just hoping to avoid setting up everything again and ideally would like to just have it “work”

22 REPLIES 22

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I'm not sure if a Bt Home Hub will work @AsheasheAshe 

Here are some thread links that may help.

Can-I-use-my-own-router-with-Vodafone-broadband. 

HOW-TO-Use-a-third-party-router-on-Vodafone-VDSL. 

How-to-Set-up-a-third-party-router-with-vodafone-2019. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I'm pretty sure the HH6 won't work on Vodafone, but as you use a mesh it should just be swap the home hub for the Vodafone router and plug the mesh into the Vodafone.

You will probably need to reboot your devices to get new network settings from the Vodafone router.

You can then turn off the Vodafone WiFi.

Hope it goes well. 

I use the mesh as access points, have loads of port forwarding set up etc 

also it worked for post office which isn’t bt owned?

@AsheasheAshe wrote:

I use the mesh as access points, have loads of port forwarding set up etc 

also it worked for post office which isn’t bt owned?

Best stick with the BT Hub then... if it works as a Post Office broadband* hub then of course, it must work with Vodafone.

Have a read here and do let us know how you get on. 

*Now technically defunct & owned by Shell Broadband

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@HappyNomad wrote:

Best stick with the BT Hub then... if it works as a Post Office broadband* hub then of course, it must work with Vodafone.

Why do you say that? It surely won't work with the Vodafone authentication servers.

Suspect they are just being facetious, but it’s a genuine question as post office isn’t owned by BT or their subsidiaries, it was the post office and is now shell, but either way neither are BT. 

Surely Vodafone is using openreach’s infrastructure? 

Jayach

Oh! I missed that. Thought this was a help forum, not a pick on the newbies forum.

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

@Jayach wrote:

Oh! I missed that. Thought this was a help forum, not a pick on the newbies forum.

Not picking on newbies... I explained that a BT hub will not work with Vodafone.   (I further provided a link to another discussion on the same subject that also says a BT hub will not work with Vodafone.).

BT locks its hubs essentially to its own network(s)  by hard coding part of its username details as far as I know.  I tried to get my EE smart hub (rebadged BT hub / BT company) to work with Vodafone but each time my Vodafone username was entered, the firmware appended '.FS', thus making the username unrecognisable and unusable by Vodafone.   I now use a third party router (non ISP) that does accept the Vodafone username and password rather than the Vodafone router.

It may be that the Post Office connection wasn't dependent on a specific username, I don’t know but because a BT hub worked with P.O. Broadband doesn’t mean it will work with Vodafone.

Have a read here too... (published 27th January 2021)

“... but the  Hubs do work with some other providers (we’re thinking specifically of the BT-owned Plusnet here and maybe some of the other smaller providers: BT routers definitely won’t work with Virgin Media, Sky or TalkTalk).

Forget the Virgin Media reference but Vodafone is in the same category as Sky and Talk Talk in terms of size and Open Reach based broadband.  I’d imagine Post Office Broadband was amongst the smaller providers.

Jayach

@HappyNomad wrote:
Not picking on newbies... I explained that a BT hub will not work with Vodafone.   (I further provided a link to another discussion on the same subject that also says a BT hub will not work with Vodafone.).
@HappyNomad wrote:

Your own words say different.