Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Switching to Vodafone - third party equipment

AsheasheAshe
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I’m switching to Vodafone on Friday 

we currently use post office broadband who sent us a router but on the day of switchover, the old BT equipment we had still worked so rather than set everything up from new again we just kept on using that 

will this be the same for Vodafone or will we neee to configure it somehow? 

the BT equipment is bt hub 6 

for WiFi we use tp-link s4 mesh system so not bothered if the Vodafone WiFi is crap, just hoping to avoid setting up everything again and ideally would like to just have it “work”

22 REPLIES 22

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member

@Jayach wrote:

@HappyNomad wrote:
Not picking on newbies... I explained that a BT hub will not work with Vodafone.   (I further provided a link to another discussion on the same subject that also says a BT hub will not work with Vodafone.).
@HappyNomad wrote:
Best stick with the BT Hub then... if it works as a Post Office broadband* hub then of course, it must work with Vodafone.

Your own words say different.

Whatever...

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@AsheasheAshe wrote:

Surely Vodafone is using openreach’s infrastructure? 

Yes but not their servers for authentication.

I mean just about everybody uses Openreach's infrastructure but they all supply their own routers. Maybe the post office had a peering arrangement with B.T.

It's all moot now they have been bought.

Jayach

@AsheasheAshe

As you can see you have raised some confusion here. I do hope you will let us know how it goes on Friday.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. If anyone can *mess things up it's Vodafone.

" wasn't the word I wanted to use, but It wouldn't have got through the swear filter.

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @AsheasheAshe 

Post Office internet is provided by Openreach and uses a BT line.   You will be unable to use the BT router with Vodafone, this will only work with BT or it's subsidiaries.

However, you will receive a new router with Vodafone branding, if you have any enquiries regarding this speak to the Broadband Team on this link: Broadband Enquiries 

Also, further information here: Getting Started with Home Broadband 

HappyNomad

Your BT hub will only work on BT provided services - PlusNet /EE etc.  The BT hub won’t accept your vodafone PPPoE username - not unreasonable as BT won’t want to be providing equipment for subscribers to other non BT users.

Your Vodafone router will pretty much work straight out of the box but you will likely want to make some changes to its settings when you hook up your mesh system.  At the very least,

• you'll want to switch its wifi off (poor in a couple of ways including range and an inability to manually select or change channels).in favour of your mesh system’s wifi.
  • you may wish to switch off the DHCP server (if your primary mesh node is handling your network’s DHCP )
  • change the DNS server to one of your own choosing.  I don't think many stick with the default DNS server.

Nothing too complicated and takes but a few moments in the Vodafone Router’s UI.

Jayach

@AsheasheAshe

Most of the previous discussions. which I realise were not helpful to you so apologies, were because we are surprised your BT HH6 would work on Post Office broadband.

Just to clarify my mind, could you try the following link before you switch and see if it definitely says you are on Post Office?

Who is my ISP? - Find your Internet Service Provider

Thanks.

@jayach that link states: (sorry tag isn’t working and not sure how to quote on mobile!)

Your ISP is

TalkTalk

also known as 'TalkTalk Communications Limited'

definitely with post office though, have their router but never plugged it in and recently received their renewal notice and emailed them to cancel as cheapest price for 2 years was about £50/month. 

Jayach

That understandable as The PostOffice is based on TalkTalk's LLU service.. But it makes it even more surprising your BT router works on it.

Come Friday hopefully Openreach will let you know when they have completed your switch over and if the BT router isn't working (and I can not believe it would be, but then it shouldn't on PostOffice) you can fit the Vodafone one.

How well the mesh works depends on the way it is set up, if it's in AP mode there should be no problems, but if you have any queries you can come back here and we will try to help.

Good Luck

Jayach

@AsheasheAshe wrote:

definitely with post office though, have their router but never plugged it in and recently received their renewal notice and emailed them to cancel as cheapest price for 2 years was about £50/month. 

That is horrific, but now is probably a good time to leave as I don't know how they are going to handle the transition to Shell Energy.*

You shouldn't really cancel with your current provider, but let the new provider arrange the transition or you could risk downtime.

Edit:

* It shouldn't be too problematic after all as as ShellEnergy are, like The Postoffice , on TalkTalk's LLU.

Jayach

@AsheasheAshe

How did your switch go? Are you up and running?